1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negative book review sends Buzz Bissinger into a Twitter fit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jun 9, 2012.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Buzz Bissinger has written a book called Father's Day. He has twin sons, one of which suffered brain damage at birth and has been developmentally hindered. Bissinger was in Dallas for a book signing. He was not pleased by a review in the Dallas Morning News and also unhappy with the poor turnout for the signing. He fired off a number of angry Tweets.

The Dallas Observer posted this about it. The comments on the post are interesting.

Here's the Dallas Morning News review of the book:

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dear Buzz: Buzz does not generate buzz anymore. Buzz off.
  3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have a line I want to use about Buzz.

But, well, being a nice Christian boy...I will hold my tongue.
  4. Riptide

More from Mr. Congeniality:

Back from west coast swing of tour. Seattle and Portland great book towns. Really good showing at bookstores. Dallas can go fuck itself hard.
  5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

Buzz being Buzz...unfortunately.
  6. Riptide

I'd pay good money to see Buzz and Loopy in a catfight. :D
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I started the book on my flight to Florida. Not that deep into it, but I wouldn't give it a negative review. Maybe when I am done but I am guessing not.
  8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I saw him on the Today show pimping the book.

Maybe I was in a bad mood or wasn't paying close enough attention ... but it seemed like the whole purpose of taking this trip with his son was so he could get fodder for a book. Not so he could spend some quality time with him.

I don't think he said that, and he maybe even denied that, but that was the overwhelming vibe I got from the interview. Very douche-like.
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Based on the parts of the book the review quotes or cites, Buzz comes off as an amazing dickhead. Calling other kids at special-needs schools "freaks?" Screaming as his son for looking at a map too long.

I think Bissinger is the one who was really deprived of oxygen at birth. He seems to go through life doing his best to be a douche.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Really makes you wonder just how the hell this guy has gotten to where he is? I can't think of a more anti-social person making a living in journalism, the most people-person business this side of massage therapy.

How the hell did he not get run out of Odessa by day 2?
  11. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Being a talented writer doesn't make someone an even vaguely polite human being. We confuse professional talents with personal qualities in lots of other walks of life.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A professional writer with no people skills is called a fiction writer. Or a journalist with very few sources, real life anecdotes, or revealing details.
Draft saved Draft deleted