1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negative book review sends Buzz Bissinger into a Twitter fit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jun 9, 2012.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Buzz Bissinger has written a book called Father's Day. He has twin sons, one of which suffered brain damage at birth and has been developmentally hindered. Bissinger was in Dallas for a book signing. He was not pleased by a review in the Dallas Morning News and also unhappy with the poor turnout for the signing. He fired off a number of angry Tweets.

The Dallas Observer posted this about it. The comments on the post are interesting.

Here's the Dallas Morning News review of the book:

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dear Buzz: Buzz does not generate buzz anymore. Buzz off.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have a line I want to use about Buzz.

But, well, being a nice Christian boy...I will hold my tongue.

4. Riptide

More from Mr. Congeniality:

Back from west coast swing of tour. Seattle and Portland great book towns. Really good showing at bookstores. Dallas can go fuck itself hard.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Buzz being Buzz...unfortunately.

6. Riptide

I'd pay good money to see Buzz and Loopy in a catfight. :D

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I started the book on my flight to Florida. Not that deep into it, but I wouldn't give it a negative review. Maybe when I am done but I am guessing not.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I saw him on the Today show pimping the book.

Maybe I was in a bad mood or wasn't paying close enough attention ... but it seemed like the whole purpose of taking this trip with his son was so he could get fodder for a book. Not so he could spend some quality time with him.

I don't think he said that, and he maybe even denied that, but that was the overwhelming vibe I got from the interview. Very douche-like.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Based on the parts of the book the review quotes or cites, Buzz comes off as an amazing dickhead. Calling other kids at special-needs schools "freaks?" Screaming as his son for looking at a map too long.

I think Bissinger is the one who was really deprived of oxygen at birth. He seems to go through life doing his best to be a douche.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Really makes you wonder just how the hell this guy has gotten to where he is? I can't think of a more anti-social person making a living in journalism, the most people-person business this side of massage therapy.

How the hell did he not get run out of Odessa by day 2?

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Being a talented writer doesn't make someone an even vaguely polite human being. We confuse professional talents with personal qualities in lots of other walks of life.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A professional writer with no people skills is called a fiction writer. Or a journalist with very few sources, real life anecdotes, or revealing details.

Draft saved Draft deleted