1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needing top-notch paginator, The Villages, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You may want to avoid writing a game was decided in sudden death as well ...

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I have been told that the previously unknown sport of Pickleball is HYOOGE down in those parts. :)

rb

3. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

You have to be 55 to live there and at that point you become a geezer? Hmmmmm
    Didn't realize I was that close to Geezerdom. :-[

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Yes, Mr. Hampton, yes you are.

And, FWIW, the Champions Tour, too!

rb

5. FloridaGeezerNot

FloridaGeezerNot New Member

Deskslave is on and off the track. To describe it as "creepy" is just silly and reflects an attitude about planned developments that is naive. The reason there are so many other so-called "active adult" communities surrounding The Villages is they bottom-feed off those people who either can't afford The Villages or who, without personal knowledge and investigation, read Deskslave-type drivel and believe it.

The Villages is the largest, single-site, single-developer, single-family residential development in the US. As such, throughout its history, it has been the most successful -- for both the developer family and the residents. That's why there are about 75,000 residents now (both full-time and part-time) and another 20,000+ to come with the new properties being developed on the south side.

Deskslave's admittedly negative descriptions and "shady shit" assertion don't come from such successful operations.

Oh, the County Commission make-up. Since the County Commission has changed to competent business people replacing the former "good ole boys" who resented the successes of The Villages, County taxes have DROPPED each of the last three or four years during the same period that public services and infrastructure have all increased and improved. Yeah, this is some "shitty" place.

The Daily Sun is said to be the "third fastest growing newspaper in the country". HOWEVER, it's not really a "news" paper; it is the developer's puff-piece, without any investigative desk, but local crime -- as little as there is -- is reported. Local sports is a big deal, again with as much local puff as possible.

So, although the Daily Sun is in the minority of "print media" that are growing, it's not a paper for one who wants to chart a serious career in journalism.

So, there.

55+ but Not a Geezer.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Public services and infrastructure sure as shit haven't improved in the parts of the county that aren't The Villages.

Sumter County is a good ole boy kind of place. Having five Villages stooges on the commission might make it look slicker and more professional, but it doesn't do much for actually representing the people who live -- and have lived for quite some time -- in the rest of Sumter County. And of course the taxes have gone down. Those geezers sure as hell weren't gonna pay for schools for a bunch of kids that aren't theirs.

I'm sure The Villages is a wonderful place to live in. It's not such a wonderful place to live around.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

My folks spend half the year at The Villages and my mom, who is about to turn 67, loves to play pickleball. I'm still trying to figure it out.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice to see one athlete in the family.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think the Villages is one place where I'd think print newspapers will continue for at least another 30 years.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yeah, that trait skipped a generation.

11. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Very interesting comments. I told my buddy to read this page, and I have no idea whether or not he applied. But it sounds like they still haven't found their guy, since they reposted on jjobs.com

12. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Ha ha. Apparently, my buddy hasn't applied, and neither, apparently, has anyone else!

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1116245

Draft saved Draft deleted