1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needing a pass to go to a high school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Nov 5, 2016.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ha! I caught that!

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Many reporters could stand to benefit from shooting the shit with people a couple of extra minutes per day, even if they don't seem directly related to your beat. Friendly, chatty people have led to some good stories for me.

Liut likes this.
  3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wonder where Mr. X ran off to?

Every school in our coverage area has security measures in place. Hell, I had to wear a lanyard with a visitor's pass on it last week when I went to one of the middle schools and was just going to the assistant principal's office, which is in the same area as the main office.

Not sure why Mr. X is making a mountain out of a mole hill, but whatever.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I keep thinking back to the time Billy Packer gave a female student grief when she was checking passes, playing the "don't you know who I am" card.

Had to go through a magnetometer once at a football game. And that was pre-9/11.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't mind signing in and getting a pass. One of the schools in our local district, though, I have a serious problem with. They make you sign in AND leave either your keys or driver's license at the front office.
    I am not cool with some office worker or, especially, a student taking those items and then when I come back 30 minutes later it's someone else there who has no idea who I am or where my stuff is. Or someone else has claimed them. Or, in these days of identity theft, some kid working in the office decides to get cute and jot down my information.
    Needless to say, I avoid the front desk whenever possible. The football and softball field houses are set well apart from the school, and there's a side door right next to the gym that passersby are happy to open for you.

Liut likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, if Paul freakin' Simon needs a wristband to get in, you can sign in at a high school.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Parts Unknown.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Maybe he got held hostage after trying to sneak in without a pass. Because of the story he wrote and all.

KYSportsWriter and HanSenSE like this.
  9. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

When I go to a high school to see a coach I always go to the office to let them know I'm around.
    I don't see the problem.
    I have two girls in elementary school. I don't like the idea of people wandering around their school unchecked.

10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Not only the arrogance for someone covering 1 school, but thinking that stopping in the school office for a pass is 'being bullied.'

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

The detention policies are even more harsh than getting a pass.

BurnsWhenIPee and Baron Scicluna like this.
  12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I think we ran Mr. X off ...

Draft saved Draft deleted