1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needing a pass to go to a high school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I was just told I need a pass to go to the only high school we cover athletic area during the school day when I'm there to get statistics and interview coaches.

I've been doing this for one month short of 17 years and have never been told this before.

I think this stems from the fact I wrote that the football team was shut out five consecutive times and some other negative statistics. This was not a problem when its boys' basketball team won its second section championship in its long history in 2015.

I have already taken one step forward with the publisher. I will ask for a pass for the rest of the school year because having to go to the main office each time I am there is quite time consuming.

How many of you need passes to go to the school's athletic area during the time that beings with lunch and runs into the start of practice time?

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I thought that was pretty standard these days. I know if I have to go to my kids' school for any reason while there are kids in the building, they won't even unlock the front door unless I flash my ID to the little camera at the door, and I have to get a pass to get through the inner set of doors.

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

There's no security at the entrance to the athletic building. There are security guards around, but none have ever said anything to me.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Go in without one.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

School might be doing this to cover their butts, even though they know you well. My kids' schools are locked from the outside during the day, and everyone has to be buzzed in, sign in at the front, and get a visitor's pass.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yep. Is this really the hill to die on, demanding unfettered access and being able to go where you please without jumping through the hoops everyone else has to jump through?

7. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

If you think this is retribution for an article you wrote, you might be thinking a little too highly of yourself.

I don't know of many schools in our coverage area that don't require visitors to check in. Hell, my wife is a teacher and I can't drop off the lunch she forgot without going through security (aka the secretaries). It's a precaution. Better that a school inconveniences a couple of people for a few minutes than have something happen with an un-checked guest that could get them in legal trouble.

8. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Just seems like it is an amazing coincidence this comes up after the next to last game at what is probably the worst season in the school's history.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If you go on campus while class is in session, you'll need a pass. Only time I've had to go on campus during that time is for scholarship ceremonies. Otherwise, I'm at the gym, stadium, practice fields, pools, wherever, but it's after class hours.

Also: What PaperClip529 Said. Don't think too much of yourself, this business has a way of knocking you on your ass.

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Never thought of class being in session during lunch.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If the school wanted to lock you out there are far more effective ways than making you sign in and get a pass. The school makes everyone else sign in. In fact I'd wager there is a sign out front that says all visitors must sign in. You either finally ran into someone who is a stickler for the rules, the school got a mandate from on high to force everyone to sign in or they finally caught you going in. I have two schools in the primary city I cover. Both are in the same district with the same rules about signing in during class time (lunch included). One doesn't care if I walk on campus to go to an event in the quad or to the gym. The other is very good about stopping me before I get 5 feet on to campus. It is just a matter of who is working at which school. Don't take it so personally unless the coaches actually stop giving you the stats.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

To them it is. Which is all that matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted