1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needing a new phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've found the opposite with the battery life on the iPhone 6. I fully charged it yesterday around noon, and just finally put it back on the charger just now, 24 hours later, and it was still at 32 percent. I've driven five hours with it running podcasts and Spotify the whole way and only lost about 20 percent of the battery life. It's leaps and bounds better than the 4s.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

iOS8 has a great tool to monitor what apps are sucking your battery.

Here's how to use it:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/27/ios-8-track-battery-usage/

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Just put the 6-Plus into play, boys.

It is a game-changer.

rb

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Got a Nokia. Serious case of tech culture shock because I've been a Droid guy first and foremost. It's a Microsoft phone which means anti-Google. Have to use Microsoft cloud. Weird not to be synched to Google. The upside is that the screen is the size of a small building and the camera will be handy in the gallery. Still feels weird to be Microsoft and not Android.

5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Just downgraded and got an Kyocera DuraXV Plus. Rather than fruitlessly and frustratingly unlocking, swiping and pressing, I now have tactile, semi-mechanical buttons that I push and they work the same way every time. The audio is consistent and reliable as my AT&T land line.

For sure, I never used my smart phone to its capabilities. I prefer big screens to tiny screens. While driving, dining or gambling I never felt the need to interact with a small screen.

I would eventually like to buy a device that I could comfortably use with WiFi to get on the internet on vacations and such. Tablet or laptop? Thanks in advance.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I hate the large phone trend.
    My personal phone is iPhone 6SE, so it is 6-grade capabilities in a 5-series size.
    It is awesome.

My work phone is an iPhone 7. It's isn't the plus, just the standard 7 and it's too big.
    Granted, I do a lot more emailing and other functions on my work phone that I never do on my personal phone, but it's just too big.
    And that is the regular. I don't get the giant, over-sized iPhone and Android appeal.
    It's like holding a piece of toast.

I have an iPad Air, that I loved but I'm about to switch it out for a new iPad Pro.
    I have a laptop for work, and I need that.
    I don't need a laptop for my personal life. The iPad is perfect.

And since I have an iPad, I don't need or want a giant phone!
    Please, ghost of Steve Jobs, bring back smaller phone designs!

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Finally replaced my iPhone 5s last week. I specifically went with the SE because I wanted something the same size.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Count me on hating the large phone trend. I have a 6S and will probably downgrade to the SE when I get my next phone. My 4S was just the right size and it took awhile to get used to the 6. Even after a couple of years, it still feels like I'm going to lose my grip on the phone sometimes. I read an article (too lazy to find it) that said the SE was a surprisingly good seller because there's a decent-sized segment of people who want a smaller phone.

Pre-smartphones, my favorite phone was a small Nokia that was the size of my palm.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The phone store employee acted like I asked to buy a new car with a crank in the front.

"I can't remember the last time I saw a phone this small."

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hell, I was in there last month. The salesman looked at my old phone and said, "Fred Flintstone used one like this."

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

To which I hope you answered, "you knew Fred Flintstone?"

2muchcoffeeman and ChrisLong like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've been a "Samsung for life" guy until the iPhone 14 max pro arrived today.

T-mobile is offering free phones if you switch over from another carrier so I jumped. Lower monthly cost. Free Netflix and Apple TV. $200 Visa card.

I'll probably grow into liking the iPhone but it's going to take awhile.

Draft saved Draft deleted