1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needing a new phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I've never owned an iPhone, never plan on it. The few times I've played with them, I hated them.
    I've had a Blackberry, two Droids and my last Droid, the Maxx, was amazing. Loved it (till I drowned it, long story.) I'll be upgrading to the Droid Turbo here in the next couple weeks, and all the reviews I've read - non-Verizon - praise the phone to high heaven. For battery life, you just can't beat the Maxx, and it sounds like the Turbo will blow that out of the water.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting on my 64 GB iPhone 6 to arrive. I believe Apple used to charge $200 for 16 GB, $300 for 32 GB and $400 for 64 GB (on contract). Now, the 64 GB costs $300, so you're getting twice as much memory for the same cost as what they used to charge.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

FWIW I have a Galaxy S4. Works well. Solid camera, pretty strong battery life.

I would love to try the Nokia phone with its 43 megapixel camera.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's awful, or at least the Windows interface is. Having 43 megapixels is great for printing large format photographs, but they're mostly just a way to grab consumers' attention. Realistically, they make little difference to the average user. The sensor size is far more important than the megapixels. Megapixels are the sizzle, the image sensor is the steak.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Switching over from an LG Android to an iPhone 5s -- my brother got me to opt in on his Verizon friends and family plan.

It'll take me a week or so to get used to it, load all the apps I need, etc etc. From what I can see now, it will be a big upgrade -- especially the fact the battery lasts more than 30 minutes before going dead. Saving 30 bucks a month is not bad either.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Got an iPhone5 today. Company-issued after my iPhone4's battery conked. Anybody know if there's a huge difference? I've just started to play with it a bit.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My EVO 4G LTE is the best phone I've ever owned. Even when my screen quit working, I didn't bitch; I got a new one under warranty.
    Am now eligible for a replacement and I was looking at the M8, figuring I can get a deal between now and Christmas (Amazon is 60 bucks with a 2-year renewal; am guessing someone else will end up being better)
    How do the two compare?

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

M8 screen is just more vibrant. Love the interface compared to the EVO 4G LTE. Consider the M8 a more polished version of the former.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

4-to-5 jump is gigantic; the chip speed is much, much quicker, and the camera is improved by a factor of 10.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Next phone is between the HTC One M8 Harmon Kardon edition (32gigs of internal memory) and the LG G3... if you own one of the two, I'd be interested in the pros and cons... I'll hang up and listen...

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I will stand up against pern on Windows Phone 8 (as I did on the computer topic about Windows 8 ). I've used an iPod touch and Andriod tablet, so I've had experience with all three systems. Windows Phone 8 is by far and away my favorite. I love tiles. You can arrange your tiles in whatever order you want all on the same page. There's no scrolling through a dozen different pages to get to apps like there is on ios or Android.

And I've never had an app crash in Windows Phone. Never. Not Internet Explorer, not my weather app, not the camera app, not my ESPN scores app. All of those apps (or their equivalents, like Safari in ios or Chrome in Google) have crashed when I've used them on an Apple or Android device.

One benefit pern doesn't point out about having a bunch of megapixels is the ability to crop. Cropping a 43 megapixel image and retaining quality is a lot better than cropping an 8 megapixel image and retaining quality.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So I finally got my new phone on Tuesday, delayed by car repairs sucking my money away, ended up with the iPhone 6. Went that direction due to my familiarity with the OS, it does everything I need it to, and all of my music and everything else transfers over smoothly.

I do like it, I have been impressed with its performance and many of the upgrades. Two big pet peeves, the battery still sucks donkey balls, and I hate the size. I liked the smaller iPhone 3 & 4s that I had used for the last 5 or 6 years. This is too big. I liked that I used to be able to do everything with one hand and reach from one end of the screen to the other with my thumb. Now it's a bit of a strain and I find my hand cramps up more quickly from using the phone for texting and whathaveyou. I know there are bigger phones out there, but I loved the old size. Couldn't imagine using a 6-plus. Also no a big fan of where the on/off button is, moved from the too to the side, I find I accidentally bump it from time to time. But overall I am still happy with the phone.

Thank you all again for your help

Draft saved Draft deleted