1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needing a new phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm sure this has topic has been brought up several times before, but hell, I'm tailoring it to my needs.

I need a new cell. My plan just ended and my iphone 4s is on its last leg.

I use it for everything from music to recording interviews, for email, internet, texting, and yes, even making phone calls.

I don't want a mini tablet to carry around in my pocket and then look like a goof putting it up to my ear and covering half my face.

I'm not particularly loyal to any one brand though I have only had iphones -- it's the only apple product I have ever owned. My biggest concern about leaving iphone is all of my music is through itunes, can I use itunes easily or transfer my music over to an android phone? Also, what is the recording quality like on android phones whether they are samsung or sony? As I said, I use the phone to record all of my face to face interviews.

I do like the simplicity of the iphone and I am used to the OS, but the battery life sucks so bad. I also hear people go on and on about how good androids are. Is the switch worth it? or is the Windows phone a better option?

Any help for this technophobe would be much appreciated.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Beef, I had two Android phones and hated them. They were fairly early models -- the Droid X, I think, and then something similar that replaced it. They both lasted about a year. By the end, each had a battery life of about 15 minutes. Didn't like the OS, didn't like the apps.

I've got an iPhone 5 now and it's vastly superior.

I know plenty of people who swear by their Android phones, but my after experience I wouldn't look at anything but an iPhone.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

AT&T is a former client of mine, so I had a chance to test drive every phone they offer, and none were close to the iPhone. Many phones had individual features that may have surpassed iPhone, but from soup to nuts, I found that iPhone was the most completely user friendly phone.

My sister has a Droid and complains about it constantly. She's had it for less than a year.

Others may disagree, but my best advice is to avoid a Windows phone at all costs. I friggin' couldn't stand the interface.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have had just about one of everything over the past few years. Seems like there isn't a make or model of phone I haven't tried. The shittiest? An iPhone. That piece of crap was good only for playing music. Otherwise it was the most useless piece of hardware ever.

Best was a Blackberry, with my current Galaxy Note 2 ranked pretty high. Windows Phone was meh, but that was more due to AT&T blowing goats.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Cool, thanks guys. Much appreciated.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm on my third android phone, HTC One M8 and have no problems with it. Previously I've had an old blackberry, HTC EVO 4G LTE, and the first version of the One and an iPhone 4. Main reason I have had so many Droids is because they're free through work versus the iPhone which is $200 out of pocket.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Loved my Blackberry but I felt like a tool using it toward the end of its life. been very happy with my Galaxy S4 but don't use it for much of what Beef is looking for.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

FWIW, my friends with iPhone 6s having been raving about the battery life. Much better than the 5.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have an iPhone 6 and it's superior to all my other iPhones in every way -- including battery life. And the camera is so much better than the iPhone 5S that I replaced.

A smartphone is something you use a hundred times a day; that by definition should make features > price when it comes to the reason to buy it.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It looks like I am going to get a 64 GB iPhone 6 and try not to cry when I pay for it. Wasn't looking to spend $375 this week (contract knocks it down from stupid money) but my in ability to use apps like Facebook and now Twitter on my 4S is making it so. Was hoping to get a 32 GB 5S but they cannot be found anywhere around her — 16 GB or 64 GB for sure, but not 32 — which would have been about $100 less. Was told I will only get about $35 for my 4S on trade in. I hate Canadian phone companies. Even shopped around and somehow the big three all have the exact same offers, almost word for word with similar graphics on their pamphlets. Total gong show. But that's a rant for another time.

Anyway it just looks like it will be easier to just slide everything over by staying with the iPhone, even with having to buy adapters for my laptop and bose stero. Just technically smoother. Thank you everyone for your help.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

IIRC, Apple is not making a 32gig model of the iPhone 6. Bastards. A 16gb is too small, a 64gb is too big, so a 32 would've been just right.

Two more months until I upgrade ...

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted