1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEEDED: Garage Sale Advice ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kokane_muthashed, Jun 14, 2007.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'm thinking of having a garage sale in the next couple of weeks or so. Was wondering if any SJers have had successful garage/yards sales in their past. Got any advice for a slammin' sale? Any garage sale hunters out there? What do you look for?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I need some golf clubs, you selling any?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Normally, I'd love a rhinestone jean jacket with my name on the back, but I don't advertise.

4. kokane_muthashed

Unfortunately, no. Too bad cuz I could just bring them to Dallas with me.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. But I am poor, so I would probably wouldn't be able to pay and then you would lug them there for no reason.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

If you say it starts at 8 a.m., get ready for people ringing the doorbell at 5:30.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Can I give you a bunch of the junk I went to get rid of -- CDs, DVDs, books, clothes? I have a ton of stuff I'm looking to get rid of, but don't want to mess with putting it on eBay.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Coupla tips.

1. If you run an ad for your sale, don't put your phone number with the ad. These crazy garage sale junkies will burn your phone up.

2. If at all possible, don't include your exact address or only include the block address. Just leave it at: The 3300 block of GrantWashingtonLincolnMLK Ave. You don't, the garage sale junkies will show up the day before -- and I'm not joking here -- and offer to pay you more for the shit if they can go ahead and poke through it.

Other than that, just don't be late starting. More than likely, these people will be waiting in your driveway when you wake up ... and possibly when you go to bed.

9. kokane_muthashed

Why is it now I'm having second thoughts of having a garage sale? yikes.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

The best stuff will be taken by the early risers, who will get there well before the posted start time (we just had one two weeks ago). Make sure there's parking for bigger trucks/SUVs. Have plenty of dollar bills to make change. Bargain but be ready to close a sale for less than you think it's worth. Bring a good book.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Advertise it in the local paper, but also try posting it on craigslist. And don't forget the signs. That's how my wife finds'em. Drives around and follows the signs.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

quite possibly the best advice ever given on this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted