1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need your opinion ... Plagiarism or not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Ugh. Had to share ... because this is making me quite angry today. I'd appreciate your thoughts ...

Our UTennessean freelancer wrote the following story on midstate player Josh Malone. It was posted on our website on Sunday at 8 p.m. It’s published in our Monday paper.
    Here is the link: http://tnne.ws/1tXvngs

Today, at 11:17 a.m., the website/blog SaturdayDownSouth.com posted a story that flows the same as ours, almost graph for graph. They credit us with the quotes but nothing more.
    Here is that link: http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/josh-malone-overcomes-flu-to-score-first-career-touchdown/

I've sent a note to the SDS writer, but have not heard back.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Plagiarism:

“I had it earlier in the week,” said Malone, who lost 10 pounds. “So I got a chance to fully recover back from the flu.”

“I had it earlier in the week,” said Malone, who lost 10 pounds. “So I got a chance to fully recover back from the flu.”

Following a senior season at Station Camp where Malone had 71 receptions for 1,404 yards and 19 touchdowns, Jones had been anticipating the freshman’s first touchdown.

And after a stellar senior season at Station Camp where Malone had 71 receptions for 1,404 yards and 19 touchdowns, Jones had been anticipating the freshman’s first touchdown.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Shit, yes.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dead bang.

Email the publisher and demand a "clarification" (i.e., admission) and a shared credit for your freelancer.

If they pay, demand an equal paycheck.

And ... keep an eye on 'em. This hardly ever happens just once.

5. Yep.

I gave him a chance ...

I've written a note to the SDS writer. Haven't heard back from him. Thus, I decided to take this viral.

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Assuming you have posted it places other than here, then?

7. Meat ... you need to folo me @NashSportsEd. :)

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Plagarism, no doubt ...

Hammer this guy (and his website editor) hard on this one ...

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

"Saturday Down South" -- whatever that is -- just got APSE membership. Ironic.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Why provide a link to the plagiarized piece? Clicks equal cash, so they should thank you for the shoutout. You gave their site legitimacy through your public outrage.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Reads like every short blog on Deadspin - summarizes article, gives credit.
    In other words, plagiarism.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I may just start ... go Dave go!

Draft saved Draft deleted