1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need your help guys...please...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Jan 12, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Buck, I've been reading your advice on these threads for quite a while.
    I don't know how you do it. My eyes roll back after the 903rd one.

But, I do have to tell you, you give the most sincere, sage advice.
    Have 'em put their head on the pillow, lean back, socks on the couch.
    Take your notes and charge $300 an hour.

(fixes= there/their)

2. fishwrapper

Yogi had good advice for this exact situation:

" When you come to a fork in the road....Take it ."

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thanks, dude. I got helped by some vets when I was a young(er) cub in this business, and still getting helped now. Ain't no thing to pass some of that on, if I can.

4. fishwrapper

I got some advice, too. First day in the backshop.
    "Boy, you touch that type and I will stick this here knife in the back of your hand."
    Didn't touch the type.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No.

Never touch the type. ;)

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

And don't wear sandals in the composing room.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Superfly, do you know Moe Kris? He could offer you some helpful advice.

8. Just keep working in the biz -- even if it means losing a year or two of your life at a small-town paper in Podunk, USA. If you are any good, you'll tour the country working at slightly larger papers until you either burnout or come to your senses and move to the features desk.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

what are your dreams? - you didn't make it clear.

10. fishwrapper

"I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together."

I have another one, but it involves Alana De La Garza... We won't get into that now.

11. Garner

Garner Member

"You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in there with the best college football players in the land for 2 years. And you're gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. Am I making myself clear?"

Quit whining, rookie.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Superfly,

Take it from someone who has worked in both PR and journalism -- I think you're better off starting your post-collegiate career in journalism.

I think it's a lot easier to make the transition for journalist hack to PR flack than vice versa. Also, if you start as a journalist, you can start creating those relationships that will help you when you become a PR person. To me, the best PR people are the ones who started out in newsrooms. The worst are the ones who instantly hopped into PR agencies and had no clue how newsrooms operated.

And can you clarify the eight years in journalism? Did you do some work in high school?

Draft saved Draft deleted