1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need To Have My Transmission Fluid Changed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fishing for chain/shop advice, price points, things to watch out for, et al.

An educated consumer is the best customer.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Stay away from Jiffy Lube. Any good mechanic can do this. If you've had your car long enough to have the tranny serviced, you should be taking it to a good independent shop. If you don't have one, ask your friends. The dealer can do this, but they'll have the car all day and charge you up the butt for the privilege.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think EZ Lube charged me about $99 last time I had the auto tranny service there.

Haven't really had any problems (with that shop or with my truck -- of course, who does with late-'90s Japanese models?)

But yeah, stay away from Jiffy Lube. Don't know anyone who's had a good experience with them.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I drive my cars well past 100,000 miles and have never had to change my transmission fluid.

You probably don't need to either.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

don't let anyone talk you into getting your transmission (or your engine for that matter) flushed.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thanks.

Know well what Jiffy Lube is. Took the pledge and will never go back there again,
    after multiple diseased experience, culminating a year or so, ago.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

And don't get me started on Jiffy Lube. Treated me like I was even dumber than I am ... and weren't smart enough to adjust when they were sinking themselves.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is this a euphemism?

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I was just about to ask that.

10. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

tranny fluid and the pcv valve = two of the biggest things you will get conned into replacing

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I disagree that changing the transmission fluid is a scam. Every owners manual recommends it at a certain interval. If you plan on driving the car for a long, long time, I'd get it done.

I worked at a Jiffy Lube for awhile [/ducking]. This was a dozen years ago, but we did tons of transmission flushes and I don't remember a lot of problems or complaints. But the price, like Jiffy Lube's price for everything, was not competitive with other chains. We also recommended people get it done every 30,000 miles, which was wrong -- always go by the owners manual.

At a Chevy dealership I worked at, we never flushed the transmission, we just dropped the pan and changed the filter. That only replaces some of the fluid, but usually costs folks a lot less than a flush.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

And with all the talk about the "tranny," it was venturing into interesting ground.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted