1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some help with running shoes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bruce Leroy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Was always a Nike girl ... UNTIL ... this board. Reading the LiveSTRONG thread, everyone seemed to love New Balance.
    I purchased NB a couple months ago and they have held up great, especially since I use them for cardio, basketball, volleyball and tennis.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Still am a Nike guy. For years, they were the only athletic shoe that actually cut their molds wide enough to fit my foot.

From what I'm hearing, New Balance might be able to do the same these days.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Boom also got me into Asics. My feet, especially my right one, like to wiggle a bit while in the air as I run. Mostly in the hell area, it'll just turn a bit at the top of the motion. Plus I have high arches. The pair of Asics I got handle both of those issues. They're made for higher arches, and all that other jazz. It used to hurt around my ankles to run and now that's never the case. I won't run on any other shoe.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I have a pair of North Face that are designed for trail running. The are, by far, the best shoes I've ever owned. They're so comfortable I often forget I'm wearing any shoes at all. I have thought of road running with them, but they're not cheap. I don't want to destroy them.

Here they are: http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AX4D&language=en

5. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

you overpronate, like myself....the minority......so stay away from most shoes which are built with supports to help UNDER-pronaters control the roll. Each shoe company will have models for for all kinds of strides, do research.

You want nuetral to cushioned shoes. Brands are known for their niche:

New Balance usually helps unders..and big guys.
    Asics helps neutral and are soft.
    Nike helps unders and are built for speed.
    Mizuno is just a great shoe, models for both under and over
    Saucony make terrif shoes too. Triumph models are ace.
    Brooks can be very soft too. Love 'em.

Nuetrals will work fine with you: the Asics Kayano is bucks but worth it.
    I prefere pillows and use Asics Nimbus.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

This is a great thread. I don't know what my feet do, and I'm confused. I push off with my big toe and that part of my foot. I'm wearing New Balance at the moment, and I can sort of notice that my foot is tilted outward slightly, as in the arch of the shoe is rising up to push my foot a little toward the outside part.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A better description for my feet when I run is that my heels, especially on my right foot, wiggle a bit at the top before they come down. Just in one direction though; to the outside. Asics have been a great help on that.

8. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Good advice above. Don't 'profile' yourself into a brand or of specific shoe based on simplicity of pronation. Try many shoes and remember to account for the season, running terrain, weather conditions, and sock preference. Try to ignore brand advertising and concentrate on the fit and comfort while looking closely at the construction, sew patterns, moisture and heat wicking, and bottom print (stay away from comfort 'showroom' dimples that will quickly wear away, or high platforms which invite ankle twists ). My many thousands miles trust Asics and NB as a start point, but be open to the opinions of your feet. If you have experienced past Achilles tendon problems, you are always vulnerable to recurrence (same with ankle sprains) and you should be open to orthotic heel lifts and control and factor that into the shoe's construction ie lace pattern, heel contour and rub friction. Always take your own running socks to the store. Terms of shoe wear, listen to your knees and always be prepared to jump to a new shoe when the knees start complaining (bottom wear or loss of shock absorbency).

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Asics, no doubt.

Go to Eastbay.com -- can get great deals on last year's models, which are virtually identical to the current models, save for the $135 price tag.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I like Asics, but my past two pairs of running shoes were Brooks and they were great. They were so soft to run on and lasted me lots of miles.

11. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

asics and i have never disagreed. I think I'm significantly in the minority on that one. One company you might try is called Pearl Izumi. Bought my last pair from them and love the shoes, like running on two pillows.

Regardless of which brand you try, go to a shoe place and have them be specific with what you need most. Good luck.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This is very good advice from Snuffy. I thought for a while I did not pronate, because I wear to the outside, somewhat, but then a running shoe salesman had me put my ankles together and look down. My left ankle (I'm left footed) definitely caves inward.
    I have run (slowly) for many years and have tried a bunch of different shoes. I've bought a bunch of Asics Gel Kayanos. The $135 price is ridiculous, but as others have mentioned here, I buy last year's model (currently 13), which several places sell online for $100. I just bought a new pair last week.
    I also spent about $30 at a running store for some good insoles, which I've had since last Fall.
    One thing nobody's said that I'd try -- how about googling "running shoes" and "suppinate" and seeing what you get -- if you're truly convinced this is your situation.
    Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted