1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some help with running shoes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bruce Leroy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Anyone know of any good running shoes for people who supinate/underpronate? Supination is when your feet roll too much to the outside, which makes the outside of the shoes wear down too quickly and also F's with some of your muscles. So instead of buying some regular running shoes again, I'm trying to get some that will address the issue (I just found out about this supination stuff the other day). Thanks in advance if anyone can provide any assistance.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Asics.

I wore them throughout college and had no problems with them. I could put 400 miles on a pair and they would start to give way, but that's an extreme amount of running. I don't have a problem with those two symptoms, but I suggest Asics.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Depending on where you live, there might be a store aimed specifically at runners. Go there, ask the shoe experts for advice.

That said, I really like New Balance and The North Face for trail runners.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I run on Asics... Pretty much thanks to Boom, when I was asking about running shoes on here a few years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me. I went from fairly serious leg problems to running in comfort. Part of it was becoming a more experienced runner, but I won't run in anything else now.

Thing is, I overpronate and the Asics I know--the Gel Kayano, Gel Kinetic and Gel Kinsei--are for neutral to overpronating runners. I'm not sure those would be the right shoes for you, depending on how much you supinate. I am fairly sure that the Asics shoe for underpronators is the Nimbus. I don't know enough about it to recommend it, but I do recommend Asics from my experience.

5. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

For instance, my area has a Fleet Feet that will put you on a treadmill, look at how you run and land, then suggest a few shoe options. My experience is that they're fair and not just looking to try to unload expensive pairs on you.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

All the top brands should have one or two models that address any particular problem. Go to a reliable running store; their clerks generally are runners who know what they're talking about. My suggestion is to buy two pair at the same time and alternate them (every other day, one week at a time, etc.). I've always preferred adidas and New Balance and I stay away from Nike, but that's just what works for me.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Then you're going to have to pay their premium prices. Asics have never failed me and they sell them at all the national chains I've been to. You can also get some cheap ones by purchasing last year's model off eastbay or something.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or you can talk to the shoe expert at the running store, then say "OK, well, I don't get paid until next week. So I'll be back then." Then go hit the discount Web sites looking for a deal.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's what I do for all my shoes. Try them on at the expensive stores, hit the web for deals later.

10. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some Asics 2120s now, but they're wearing down on the outsides the same way the last couple of pairs did. One of my buddies works at a shoe store in Florida and said it's harder to find shoes for supination because far more people overpronate than underpronate.

And Ragu, looking at a few Web sites, those Asics Nimbus seemed to be the best bet. I checked some sites out before I posted here and saw the Nimbus and a couple other options but wanted to see if anyone here had any better suggestions. At least I'll get a discount from my buddy either way.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Great deals at holabirdsports.com, especially on New Balance.

I'm a New Balance girl all the way--they seem to put their energy into the technology, not the gimmicks and slick ads. Outstanding if you need width, I think they go up to 5D for men.

Best advice is to go to a place that specializes in running.....they can watch you run and look at your shoes and tell you what you really need.

Don't skimp. What you save on cheap shoes you'll end up spending later on doctors.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted