1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some help on this one

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Aug 2, 2007.

1. So I know electrical rates are on the up and way up, but I didn't think too much about it.

That is, until my last two electrical bills. I live in a small apartment, above a drinking establishment. I essentially have the entire second (top) floor, except for a small apt. to my side that my landlord's sister uses when she comes here on the weekends to bartend. Anyway, last month's bill was $195. This month's was $205.

Bullshit!!! I spend 15 out of 24 hours outside this apartment. I use the oven twice a month, same with the washer/dryer. A/C, a window unit, is on for about one hour a night to cool down the bedroom.

So I am ballistic when I call up the power company, and get the usual run-around of, this is what our meters say, too bad. So I call up my landlord, who says he can't talk at the moment but he'll give me a call first thing in the morning (this was yesterday evening).

I wake up this morning to a voice mail on my cellphone. "Corky...it's Leo (landlord)...uh...I guess Yvonne (his sister) left the air conditioner running a lot...just take $100 off your rent this month and next month. If you have any questions, just call me."

Double bullshit!!! What that says to me is I've been paying electricity on an apartment I don't even live in for a year and a half! AND, $100 off my rent? Guess what, my parents, in our colonial house, pay $50/month. So I would still be paying $100 for electricity? FUCK THAT.

I am rip-roaring mad. Of course I've left him two messages and he hasn't returned either. What should I do here? I would consider moving but a) the location is perfect and b) this bar is my favorite.

outside of looking up to see if any mafia still remains in my family, I've never been confronted with this before.

EDIT: I do get cable here for pennies because I'm hooked up to downstairs. So even though I get a discount there, isn't the above a shitty situation regardless?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just explain it to him rationally, and if he doesn't budge, consider living somewhere else because, chances are, that's only the tip of the iceberg.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Power bills always go up in apartments in July and August. Depending on where you live, there could be some kind of local/city "baseline" rate, where all apartment dwellers pay a common percentage of the total usage for the area, offset (or increased) slightly by your own usage. Because of summer heat, that rate goes up in the summer as more people use A/C.

If that's the case, it's one of the (many) downsides to apartment life. But nothing to go ballistic over.

Draft saved Draft deleted