1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some advice on long distance relationships

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 27, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Don't laugh, but I found her profile on MySpace. I saw her smile and was hooked. I had no idea at first that she was injured until we got to talking. She told me everything about her accident and her recovery. The day after we started talking I went back and read all the stories the Free Press has written on her, and it chokes me up every time I read one of them. Hell, I'm choking up now just typing this. Her story just pulls at my heartstrings.

Markvid, before the surgery she was paralyzed from her shoulders down. She had very little movement/control of her arms for the first two and a half years.

She had surgery in early 2005 in Portugal and now has limited feeling/sensations all over her body. The rehab center where she goes three days a week has done marvelous works for her. She's started walking with assistance using high-tech braces.

When she was in Portugal, she visited a big cathedral and said "this is where I want to get married." I told her that if I was lucky enough to marry her that I'd take her back to Portugal and have our wedding in that cathedral.

2. KYSportsWriter

That's just the thing. There ARE no other prospects. I haven't had any prospects since I met this girl who lived in Paintsville. And that was last year before Christmas, I think.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I don't mean to be a downer, but it sounds like you're falling for her story, not for the girl in said story.

Slow it down, man.

4. KYSportsWriter

No UT, I honestly had no clue about anything when I first met her. She told me what happened and that's when I started reading it all.

And last night we decided to slow everything down. No more talk of getting married and spending the rest of our lives with each other...for a while at least.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Good deal. Seriously, man, I hope it works out. I'm just a fan of caution.

Good luck.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good move. Plan some trips.

See what it's like being around each other for 48 or 72 hours at a time. Build from there.

7. KYSportsWriter

I know someone is going to have fun with the quote function on this one...

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, that's nice, but my experience is that women did not especially find desperation a turn-on. Also, maybe it was just the ones I dated, but some were put off by seeming too into them at the start. For instance, I prefer to eat at nice places. But some women took that the wrong way early on, as if I were trying to use a nice restaurant in order to sweep them off their feet, when in fact, on a first dates, my motive was to at least have a nice meal if there turned out to be no chemistry. What I'm saying is, you don't necessarily need to slow down on your insides, but on your outsides it wouldn't be such a bad strategy.

9. KYSportsWriter

Lord knows I've been down that road one too many times before...

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's smart for now. Hopefully everything works out the way you want it (and it very well could).

But it's smart to take things slowly.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

KY, on a different note, that's a fantastic story about the girl. I'm not sure I'd be able to get past the physical limitations, no matter the emotional connection.

Good luck, and it's good news you've slowed it down a tad. Please keep everyone up to date, hopefully only a few folks (DyePack) are assholes.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, no one's ever been hurt by going a little slower.

except, maybe Dale Earnhardt

Draft saved Draft deleted