1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some advice on a situation that could be brewing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you should understand what's being said when a newspaper refuses to pay for your moving expenses. for starters, they're a bunch of cheap bastards who will take the least expensive way out of every situation.

2. A paper that won't pay all moving costs isn't a paper worth working for. What's up with this having to negotiate moving costs BS? Or the two weeks pay up front BS? That wouldn't even have been enough to ship my car across the country, let alone moving company costs, real estate agent fees, housing and accomodations while searching for housing, and travel for the start of work. I wouldn't even consider giving my services to a company that wouldn't do that.

While Buck continues to call me names, he's also continuing to get (censored) by his workplace... ::)

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I've moved four times. We've always been able to afford professional movers, at a minimum. The various forms of relocation assistance:

--> First time, $1,000 up front. Barely covered the movers to move a two-bedroom apartment 600 miles.
    --> Second time, all movers paid, plus airfare and expenses for a househunting trip for my wife and me. 1,200-mile move.
    --> Third time, 1,400-mile move, all movers paid (by now we have two kids and a three-bedroom house), airfare and expenses for a househunting trip, on the payroll a week early, mileage for both cars.
    --> Fourth time, 1,400-mile move, all movers paid (now with three kids and a four-bedroom house), airfare and expenses for two househunting trips, up-front money to cover payments on old house for three months because we were moving from a weak real-estate market. Airfare for me to fly back to help wrap up old house. Mileage for both cars, on the payroll a week early, and a waiver for the waiting period to be vested in the 401(k).

It's all negotiable. Don't be afraid to ask.

4. Would anyone advise offering to take a pay cut for the first year if they give some of the salary toward moving expenses?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No.

My shop only gave me 1k to move 1,900 miles. It wasn't enough, but I made it work. If you offer yourself up at a lower salary then you will never get paid anymore. I'm guessing at the tiny weekly, raises are going to be few and far between.

6. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

In 2004, I was working for a paper in Connecticut and was offered a job in Colorado -- same chain -- but they absolutely refused to pay any relocation, even as a loan to take out of my check. Since I didn't have $4,000 lying around, I had to decline and stay where I was.

I left that chain six months later.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so how is jrc treating you?

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Moving expenses are tax deductible in the States, too (and not even an itemized deduction, they're good for everyone). But you still have to eat all the cost up front.

My place, a mid-sized daily that pays tolerable union wages, gave me $1,500, in my first paycheck, then took out taxes, to move my wife and I halfway across the country. It helped, but we lost money on the deal and it would have been a problem if we hadn't just gotten married and were flush with cash. But I didn't know enough to ask for more, either. I've had friends who moved to metros and it sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I wouldn't be shocked if a 6K weekly didn't offer much in moving expenses. In fact, I'd be surprised if they did. But it's a shitty thing not to help someone out at all if they're moving to come work for you. Are we talking three of those big rectangular states here, or are you just hopping from Rhode Island to New Jersey?

9. boots

boots New Member

Sometimes, you have to take the hit of paying your own moving costs. I know it's rough. I've had to do it. But weigh everything out. Will moving give you a better life? Sometimes, you just have to say Fuck it.

10. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

I doubt this would happen again, but do have a horror story for you.

My brother, an architect, applied, interviewed and was "hired" a suburb or two over. After the handshake, a partner in the firm told him if he had any more questions, do not hestitate to call and ask. So, he calls with questions such as benefits, work attire, hours, etc. Simple stuff with simple answers.

Well, this jag tells him he thinks he's not a happy person, says he has no clue about benefits, and couldn't tell him until he started; knew nothing of the profit sharing plan, and made no attempt to find out; scoffed at the idea that he wanted to know whether to come prepared in a suit, collared shirt or fucking sweatpants.

Needless to say, the job offer was rescinded. But, my brother got in a good "fuck you" before it happened. After that episode, he would not have worked there anywho.

Like I said, a once-in-a-blue moon story, but the quacks are out there.

11. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

I did the JRC thing for four months ... that's all I need to say about that :)

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd love to be able to limit myself to only papers that will pay every dime for me to move. Maybe one day. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted