1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some advice on a situation that could be brewing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Just as with vacation days, moving/relocation is a benefit worth bringing up. If they like you enough to extend an offer, they will, at worst, tolerate your request for help moving.

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Definitely ask. My paper paid for my entire moving expenses, no questions asked.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

One key I have learned is to not bring up money at all in the course of the interview. Even if they are the ones that want to talk money, avoid it by asking more about the job, what it entails and what you could bring to it.

Money should not be brought up by you until an offer has been made. Once they say you're wanted on the team, everything is up for negotiation- including relocation expenses. Don't get bogged down in any of that until they say they want you. At that point, unless you ask for something ridiculous, chances are you will get some kind of consideration...if they feel you are a good fit for their team you can work those details out. Bring it up but only after they tell you they want you.

4. Taylee

Taylee Member

My experience has been that companies generally have a pre-set limit on what they'll pay. One company gave me the guidelines (varied based on position being filled, I later found out) early in the interview, but with the other I had to bring it up. Both times expenses were paid.
    Also, if offered a job, ask about living arrangements while you and the family seek permanent residence. Moved halfway across the country for a job and the company put me in a hotel for two weeks and had temporary housing set up if I needed more time. Six weeks was max, however.
    Good luck

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Fly has it right. If an interviewer ever starts talking about money, you say, "Does that mean you are offering me the job?" Only once they have offered you the job should you start negotiating.

6. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Depending on the paper, you may not even have to ask. Some have moving policies and will let you know after you accept a job what they are willing to pay. My last job said they no longer do "that" (pay moving expenses), but my current place gave me the amount of 2 weeks pay (that didn't come out of my check and reimbursed me for lodging and food), so it all depends on the company. Maybe you could find out from someone who works or has worked for that paper beforehand.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

heck, i'm m.e. at a 6,000 daily and we paid for 2 weeks of hotel for a new hire who was moving from oklahoma to texas plus moving expenses.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Big papers almost always do and tell you ahead of time if they don't, at which point our talks cease. Most metros even will pay to have the movers pack you, they'll pay for you to fly in to house- or apartment-hunt and put you up during that, pay for a 1-4 weeks of temporary lodging, and pay for lodging, meals and gas while you're driving from Town A to Town B (although some places give you a per diem for food and lodging). One mid-major would not pay for the move, so the SE told me to put in for X hours of OT each week until I'd been compensated. He kept his word on that.

The moving expenses will be added to your salary and then you itemize on your taxes.

9. what about a 6,000 circulation weekly? what do you guys think??

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They might loan you a sleeping bag and a backpack.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

depends on the ownership.
    but I'm a little surprised a paper that small would even bring someone in from three states over for an interview.
    If they are paying for that, they might be willing to pay for the move.
    You aren't paying to interview, are you?

12. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Not sure how things are in the U.S., but in Canada if you move more than 40 kilometers for a new job you can write everything off on your taxes. And I mean everything, meals, hotels, U-haul, movers...even some closing costs from your old house. I haven't moved in a couple of years, but I would check it out with an accountant. There is a lot you can write off.

Draft saved Draft deleted