1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some advice from dads out there

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Sep 4, 2007.

1. As a few of you know, my wife and I are expecting our first child this October. Obviously being the Sports Editor for a paper requires a lot of hours devoted to work.
    I was wondering from some of you dads, how you manage to balance work and family, especially when you have a newborn child.
    Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

2. somewriter

somewriter Member

Don't sleep.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Check your PMs

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Teach the kid how to lay out the baseball page, that way quality time with the baby will consist of you two at work. It is the best of both worlds!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Get a second wife... that way, she can take care of the kid when you are at work or want to sleep and the mother needs a break

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, one serious reply for my good man.

When that child is born, and you have one of your two nights off -- remember you asked this question, and you will know that that time is no longer just yours.

7. Who gets two nights off?
    That's a serious question.
    I'm doing well if I get most of one.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

take some of your vacation, all of your sick time and a couple personal days to be at home the first week or two when the baby gets home.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's a first-class idea right there.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Serious question: Do any papers out there give paternity leave? Or is it based on the nature of our business, if you're a SE in palmetto's case, that you're just not gonna be allowed to take more than X amount of time off?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Men are allowed to use the Family and Medical Leave Act as well. Paper can't stop him, and has to return him to his current position or an equivilant one. Not sure if he can afford it. I doubt many of us can, but he can use it to take time off.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sick time is tied into the law that was passed a few years back about immediate family being "sick" and needing to take care of them.

i took two weeks when the second heartbreaker came home and it was in the middle of spring. and you know what, fuck 'em. it was the best two weeks i've ever taken.

going back to that "on your deathbed thing" ... yeah, you get the point, fuck 'em. take the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted