1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need serious advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 12, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

So, here’s my problem.

I got my first set of orders today from Uncle Sugar. Headed to Ft. Lewis, Wash., (think Tacoma) from EARLY July to late August. From my commissioning (as a lieutenant) until I report to Lewis, there's about three and half days. After leaving Washington, I come back home for five days until I leave again, this time for Oklahoma and San Antonio until early December.

Here’s the problem. I don’t want to be stuck in Tacoma, Wash., for two months, relying on others to get me to work, from work, to chow, from chow, to the golf course, from the golf course. Well, you get the picture.

The tentative plan is to load up Mrs. tbf and make a little drive of it. It would be a fast drive, without much stopping and leisure time. It would also mean that I wouldn’t be home to between Washington and San Antonio until early December.

It’s about 2,500 miles. Uncle Sam would cover the expenses.

Thoughts?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Uncle Sugar?

3. three_bags_full

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Do it, and hit all the sights along the way. It's not a terrible drive.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can you get an extension of your order to report?
    Can you go and the wife gets the leisurly drive while you stay in BOQ for a week or so? (you need to drive to the mess hall?)

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

uh.....did you think of asking MRS. TBF?

7. three_bags_full

No extension is available. We'd have to leave on the afternoon of June 27. Arrival for me is 1630 on July 1. She'd have to leave that day or the next.

We'd just have to buy her a plane ticket back.

Yes, mom, I asked Mrs. tbf. She says she's OK, either way. But she didn't sound enthused.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

In that case, have her drive out there with you. You're gonna be gone a while, so why not? I know I'd do it, but then again, I'm nuts enough to drive to major metro areas out of my state all on my own.

Ask her a few more questions. Find out why she doesn't sound enthused. Try and sell her on the fun a quick road trip will be.

9. three_bags_full

Yeah, I'll be staying off post.

Draft saved Draft deleted