1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Red Sox ticket advice!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DrewWilson, Jun 17, 2009.

1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

The wife and I are planning a trip to Boston next month. We want to hit a Red Sox game, but of course, the days we are going to be in town, the Red Sox site doesn't have tickets listed for sale. I've looked at various sites, but the mark-up on tickets is like 40% (I don't mind paying a little extra, but we're trying to do the trip at a reasonable cost). And we'd like to have seats instead of getting standing room only.

Any body in that area know of a better way to get tickets or have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I bought tickets from scalpers outside the stadium each time I went to the game. I paid maybe 20% more than face value and got to see some great games. You just need to know how to talk business with them.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Honestly, considering they just had their 500th consecutive sell out, it'll be a little tough for you to get tickets without paying a little more.

My best advice for you is to go up to Fenway and buy some tickets off someone on the street. You might be able to talk them down, and if you're patient and wait until the game's about to start, you might even get face value.

4. drew, who are they playing? that will make some difference with regard to the aftermarket price.

my best advice would be, if you don't mind, to try to get in separately, then meet up inside and walk around the park together. you're more than likely to find a nice guy who has an extra ticket and will sell at face than get a pair cheaply that way.

and yes, you more than likely will pay a 50 percent to 100 percent markup.

5. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Playing the Royals.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Just make sure you have someone let you look at a real ticket before you buy one from a scalper so you know you're not buying a clever fake.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

StubHub is your best chance. They have pretty reasonable prices. I think there is a StubHub box office right near Fenway, too. Don't bother with the Red Sox website. The Red Sox have, by far, the worst ticket system in the majors.

8. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Screw StubHub. I think your best bet is to wait till the day of the game. Tickets aren't nearly as hard to come by as in previous years.
    Earlier this year, I got $85 seats on Craigslist for $40 apiece a few hours before the game. Sure, it was a midweek game against the Indians, but the deals are out there. Pretty sure that even though it's a weekend series, you'll be able to get Royals tickets for face value.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I've never been able to find Craigslist reliable in getting tickets to games, especially the DAY OF the game.

I remember I wanted to get tickets for my father and I for his birthday last year and I emailed some guy that has season tickets and he was willing to sell tickets to any and every game for face value. I never got an email back.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

That's why you send out 10 emails. Half will respond, then you pick the best seats/best deals.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Either find scalpers outside the parks, log on to one of Satan's Web sites (StubHub and the like) or show up at noon and wait in line.

12. kevin, you sound amazingly ignorant. guy probably had 100 people sending him that same email. sobchak is right, you need to put as many feelers out there as possible, like a job search.

Draft saved Draft deleted