1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Quick Help - Grammar/Usage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, May 9, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Then reword it. But none stands for "No one." One is the subject, and it's singular.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was referring to" unfortunately"

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No, 'kids' is not the subject of the verb. 'Kids' is the object of the preposition 'of.'
    'None' is the subject of the verb. 'None' is singular, so the verb is 'lives.'

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

IMO that is the clearest explanation for lives and one I can fully agree with.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When I was in college I wrote a subhead for the school paper's lead story that said "Majority Say They Oppose New Rule."

For years I've kicked myself over that because it was an otherwise perfect section.

After reading this thread, I don't feel so bad because probably few people caught that.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Makes sense. But they only have so many teachers, they'll take your insight and try for the best fit, right? Everything you wrote on this thread was more descriptive than 'affect.' You want someone positive and upbeat and strong and confident...not a softie pushover.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A minority of readers catches that type of thing.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D

I dropped affect. You guys were right-- something was amiss with using that word. I like what I wrote-- kept it short and sweet.

I think there are 5 different kindergarten teachers at this elementary school. I'm ready to just roll with it.

Thanks again.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

"She responds well to firm, yet upbeat personalities." you need a comma after firm.
    I.E. would be used instead of for example. I'm not sure what you're going for with "affect." Affect is a verb, so "a bad teacher will affect your daughter negatively." Effect is a noun, so "the effect of a passive, ill-tempered teacher was my daughter never participated in class."

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That cannot be right. No comma.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The form of affect she wanted to use is a noun (as she notes - AF-fect). She's already said she's going to reword that part, though.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

AF-fect in that usage is indeed a noun ... one that maxes out the "highfalutin' affect" scale, though!

Draft saved Draft deleted