1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Quick Help - Grammar/Usage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, May 9, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One of the axioms of sj: boom can spell well; he just chooses not to

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jokes about my spelling and punctuation are a tired meme. So SJ 2005.
    My post was also meant to be a joke. Sorry if I made you upset, as you have joked before about an area we both seem to know a lot about.

3. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

This. "None" takes the form of singular verbs.

As for the comma after "unfortunately," I got this wrong on an editing test at my old job. Adverbs should not start sentences, I was told. They should come directly before the verb they are modifying. So, you want to say "She unfortunately does not respond well ..." rather than "Unfortunately, she does not respond well ..."

I'm with those who don't quite get No. 4, so I'm guessing "affect" isn't the right word.

Hope the baby feels better soon. My little one has recently been waking during the night for no apparent reason, and it's been killer.

4. dooley_womack1

I have an explanation as to why it should be" live"; I'll post it later, when I see the precise wording. And Ms. Pot, the way you have it may be technically correct, but it's not the best writing; it's stilted

5. Boom_70

When you abbreviate "SJ" it should be in caps.

6. dooley_womack1

I'm too lazy to hit shift twice in a row

7. Boom_70

It does require nimble fingers with key placement of S and J

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oy, stop. You're both kidding.

Lugz, I don't think 'affect' is what you're looking for here. Why not just say she'll respond better to a firm teacher. The more detail you add, it's going to sound like you're shopping for a perfect teacher.

Oh, and I would go with 'none lives' but I would be the world's worst editor, so who knows.

9. Boom_70

You have double spaced between "better" and "to" in your post. It that correct form when using those two words in a sentence?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yes.

11. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Oh, I completely agree.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I was taught that "none lives" is correct. None is indeed the subject and is another way of saying "not one." If you were to say: "Not one of the students lives in our district," it would be pretty clear that "lives" is the way to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted