1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Quick Help - Grammar/Usage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, May 9, 2011.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hi folks, I'll be brief - I have to do a brief write-up about my daughter to the public school for this fall so that they'll know how to place her. I have some grammar/usage questions that I could Google, but I have a sick baby at home and no time... so I was wondering if somebody could quickly help me. Not you, Boom. :) Please forgive the "idiot" nature of these questions - I'm sleep deprived, have forgotten all the rules because I haven't been doing it everyday - and well, I never knew some of these anyway. Yes, these are dumb questions.

1) Are seasons capitalized, yes or no?

2) If you start a sentence with a word like 'unfortunately,' does a comma follow?

3) None of the kids LIVE in our school district or LIVES in our school district?

4) Edit this sentence... "She responds well to firm yet upbeat personalities, i.e. a lot of "affect." Am I using i.e. properly? The word I want to use is AF-fect. Do I have the right word? Does that word make sense to you?

5) Peroid always inside the quotations at the end of a sentence, right? Or no?

Please Help!! Thank you so much!!!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1) No.

2) Yes.

3) Lives.

4) I'm confused on the sentence on what you're trying to convey.

5) Yes, inside.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"OMG if I don't punctuate this application correctly my daughter will fail in life. "

Hopefully you have blessed her with an "IE" sounding end to her first name. It's a known fact that the Ashley's, Brooke's and Lindsey's of the world all get better placement.

Luggy you have become a cliche of the typical eastern elite suburban housewife.

Have you traded in the Prious for the Suburban yet?

4. Lugnuts

Boom,
    There's a special circumstance here. you know not of what you speak.

Mile High, thank you. What I'm trying to convey in 4 is that a 'huggy' nurturing teacher may not actually be the best fit for my daughter. She would do better with a Mary Poppins-type.. firm but upbeat.. louder voice.. Affect seems to be the right word, I'm just not sure if it makes sense to other people. For example, actors in kids shows have a lot of affect.

5. Boom_70

With the eastern elite everything is a special circumstance.

"You must put Ashley in same class as Lindsey. They have gone to mandarin language class since they were 2."

"Ashely does well with a positive teacher and can't be scolded"

" Ashely is lactose intolerant. You must stop serving milk in the cafeteria. "

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Disagree on #3... it should be live.
    None of the kids LIVE in our school district or LIVES in our school district.
    Read it both ways. It should be live.
    They (Kids) live. He lives.

8. Lugnuts

You know what Boom, you are so far off base.

I'm sure it makes you feel good to kick somebody .who's having a bad day with a sick baby.

congrats, you've finally made me really upset. I defended your ass a few weeks ago, and you wouldn't stop until you made me regret it.

Thanks to those who chimed in.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it should be live.

And remember, don't end your sentences with a preposition. For example, it's not "my daughter is a pleasure to deal with," it's "my daughter is a pleasure to deal with, Buster!"

And hope the baby gets to feeling better soon.

10. Boom_70

Hey Luggy, have a look back at your post. You fired the first salvo.

11. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

No "kids" is not the subject of the verb. None is the subject of the verb. "None ... lives" is correct.

12. Lugnuts

it was a joke, Boom. I always thought you had a good sense of humor if nothing else. I had no idea you were so sensitive about the spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes in your posts. I've always thought it's been one of the cool ironies of this place.. One of the biggest personalities on a journalism website posts the way you do.

Draft saved Draft deleted