1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need opinions of parents.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zagoshe, Nov 13, 2009.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

Fair enough on the boy, but I'd like to weigh in on the daughter

I think you have to be careful of being too judgmental.

To use the Chris Rock example, Tiger didn't go crazy, Tiger went Tiger.

Your kid tried to pull a fast one, but that's what kids will try to do. I think having her go up and clean her room - before she goes out - gets the point across, without the harsher punishment of missing sleepover, and being sentenced to her room.

The punishment has to fit the crime in order for it to have the rehabilitative effect. Proportional response: Too little, and it has no effect. Too much, and it works against you.

I agree wholeheartedly that your daughter tried to play you, but loving firmness works just as well as six-gun justice in that instance.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing all of this, Zag.

I just hope your daughter is not four or five. :)

Good call on the boy. I was assuming he was a soph or junior in high school.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He said the boy is in eighth grade.

The thing with the daughter did seem a bit harsh, but we don't know the age, the kid or how often she has tried to pull that sort of thing in the past.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

She's 11 and she is just in this phase - she's a sixth grader -- where she is trying to see what she can get away with -- like Monday night, she went to volleyball practice and we told her specifically to take a shower before she went to bed.

So about an two hours later she comes in the room with a towel on her head and in a robe -- obviously looking like she had taken a shower and says good night.

And goes to sleep. But of course, she is a hard sleeper and so she turns her tv on to watch it for a little bit and falls right asleep so every nigth I have to go into her room and turn the tv off.

So I go in - she has the towel on the floor and she is wearing the T-shirt and shorts she had practiced in -- so I feel her head and it isn't wet nor is it even damp.

Of course, I wake her little ass up and give her a lecture about not just lying but being a little sneak - I mean the towel and bathrobe shit was pretty good -- and then send her to the showers so to speak.

So this deceptive shit has just started within the past six months since she got into middle school.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

As the parent of a 10 and 6 year old, I am not looking forward to being the parent of a 15 and 11 year old. Maybe we'll just send them away to military school, even the girl :)

Anyway, nice job Zag.

I think it's hard for any of us to give the right answer because we don't know just what other things you've tried with your kid or how serious of a level this soccer team is.

In general, I'd say if your kid is part of a team, you should try to establish beforehand a penalty that will affect only your kid, and not other kids on the team. However, it sounds like in your case you already tried some of those things (like the phone), and you know better than us what will really get him where it hurts.

If other kids and even parents are giving your kid grief for getting himself into this mess, it really ought to make an impact on him and correct the behavior.

Good luck. Keep us informed on how it's working out, not only your kid's schoolwork, but the reaction from the team.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Not a parent, but I was a kid and let me tell you, if I had slacked off at all on my school work, my parents would have done exactly what you did, zag. My parents taught me personal responsibility at an early age so by the time I was in middle school, I was doing more stuff around the house and in charge of keeping my grades up. And, of course, living in a small town, I knew if I screwed up there was no way to hide it.

You have to be tough. If you're tough now and you make them realize that if they fuck up, it's not going to fly, they'll be less of a little shit later and you'll have to deal with less of the "let's see how far we can push it" attitude that I saw from way too many of my peers in high school.

What I can't believe is the parents giving you shit for holding your kid out. If they had their priorities in the right place at all, they'd realize that the soccer team is an elective and schoolwork is not optional. For most of their kids, they won't play soccer past age 18. They just might need to know some of the stuff they're learning in school.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

to reiterate: excellent work on both children. set the straight on how they WILL NOT be getting over on their parents. 'cause if they don't get it know there will be only more hell to pay as they get older. wait until h.s. you ain't seen nothin' yet.

little shits, they all are. soon to be bigger shits, if you don't scare 'em straight now.

8. outofplace

I figured there was either some history or you were just very strict. Sounds like you handled that one exactly right given that she has been pulling that type of crap lately.

Little OOP is only six, but one of the things we have stressed to her is that she is not to ask one of us for something if the other one has already said no.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

I'm of the opinion that an 11-year-old shouldn't have a TV in her room - or a computer

You should keep that where both what she's viewing and when can be monitored

Even if she's watching Disney. Its more important to show that it matters to you

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Zag -
    Late to this but good call. You didn't let the team down. HE did. F the other parents if they don't get that.
    As for that cell phone thing? I'd take that away because he's 13, not for any other reason.

Yours are about the same age spread as mine. Buckle up, brother. The fun has JUST started.

We caught my daughter trying to sneak out one night so I went after her door. Figured she'd given up the right to privacy. The Queen and I had quite a battle on that one.
    Smart kids can be a real pain in the ass and both mine are smarter than me.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Taking the door? Nice. I'll have to remember that one.

12. outofplace

Mrs. OOP and I are considering that one, too. Not so much a privacy thing as little OOP slamming it a time or two while throwing a tantrum.

Draft saved Draft deleted