1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Microsoft Office 2007 help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by always_looking, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Folks:

Forgive me, I'm computer illiterate and need help.

Just downloaded Microsoft Office (Standard) 2007 60-day free trial, just to check it out. I love it.

BIG problem, though: When I open a word document, it now saves it as 'Story.docx' instead of just 'Story.doc', without the x on the end. I don't know why that is, but all of a sudden when I e-mail said file to the home office, they can't open the word document that now has the .docx extension.

Is it because the home office isn't using Microsoft Office 2007 (we have 2003 there). Did I do something wrong in the download? I have Windows XP, by the way, if that makes a difference.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

2. ARD

ARD Member

Doc and docx are different internally, so changing the extension won't help. docx is Word 2007's new XML-based file format. Older versions of Word need a translator for it. You can save your story as an older Word format with Save As->Office 97-2003 format. That should help when sending a story to the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted