1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need info on moving expenses...asap

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mattyb, Apr 9, 2008.

1. mattyb

mattyb Guest

I just received a job offer from a 38,000+ newspaper. Is it totally out of the question to ask for moving expenses? When I asked about it, the editor said the company doesn't usually do that, but if I had a number of how much he would talk to his publisher about it.

What is a good way to come up with a number to give him? Last time i took a job, I didn't ask about moving expenses and it cost me $1000 to move and get into an apartment.

2. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

I think you're well within your right to ask for a little help.

The paper may ask for you to record your expenses and provide receipts and they'll reimburse you the exact total. They could also just give you a budget.

If you need help, ask for it but don't try to screw them out cash. Come up with a budget and be prepared to ask for that exact number.

I know ABF offers the U-Pack option, I researched it a few months ago and came up with about $800 to ship my stuff from point A to point B. You take your stuff to their shipping center, pack a crate and they'll truck it for you. The added expense a $20 U-Haul truck rental at each end +mileage. Factor in boxes and maybe some labor (craigslist, emove.com) and you're probably looking at $1200 or so.

If they'll give you $1000, then your move is only going to cost you a few hundred bucks which is better than the alternative.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You're well within your right to ask for some moving expenses, but they're well within theirs to say no. Try to come up with an estimate for what it's going to cost you, remembering to include gas, food and lodging (if it's more than a day's drive), as well as the cost of the moving truck.

They might not cover the entire amount. I've gotten $500 for one move, which covered most of my costs, and $300 for another, which was barely a drop in the bucket. Regardless of what they pay, though, keep all your receipts and everything so you can write off any portion that is not reimbursed on your taxes.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Here's some good info on "writing it off".....

http://www.smartmoney.com/home/buying/index.cfm?story=movingexp

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, it cost me about $20,000. Start with that.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

You can ask them to deduct it from your yearly "salary." Say you'll be making $30K or so, obviously divided by 26 paychecks. Ask them to give you $1,000 or $1,500 up front, and deduct it from the regular paycheck. At least then you;ll have something now.

Ideally, you'd just get a bonus. But it might not be that easy.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Why "obviously divided by 26 paychecks"?
    Some of us get 52 paychecks.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And some of us get 12.

Ideally, you would have negotiated moving expenses as part of the conditions of taking the job. It won't hurt to ask.

9. Stop. Don't let them take it out of your salary.

The fact that they say they "usually" don't do that means they have done it and will do it for you if you stick to your guns.

Had he said 'no, we don't do that' then you were fucked.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just took an offer, a combo news writing/web video position, and they said I was the furthest candidate they've hired. Asked about moving expenses and the editor had to talk to the publisher. I got $1000 out of it, reimbursed. I'll keep the e-mail promising that.

By the way, how much are you getting for your second gig?

11. mattyb

mattyb Guest

Thanks for all the advice. I'm a little over $30/year as a copy editor/page designer. I did get moving expenses. They are going to give me $800 but it's going to be on my first check.

This beats the hell out of my job as a sports writer. it was only $23/year.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I took $26k/year. Probably will stay a year and try to get back into sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted