1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need info on Missouri's student newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daveevansedge, Apr 5, 2008.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Why tight? Didn't the Trib get the big contract to print the national edition of the NY Times not so long ago?

2. Mizzoukid

Mizzoukid New Member

Can I ask how he helps you become a better writer? I already took the reporting class as a sports reporter and am curious as to why you believe that. I don't want to sound overly harsh, but I know of a few people that would disagree with your statement.

As for what someone else said about a journalism dorm, Mizzou has learning communities for the dorms that aren't suites. The suites are whoever wants to pay up, but the rest are mostly separated by intended major. I don't think they've changed that, but there were 2 that were journalism and communications dorms when I lived in the dorms. For the record, there are plenty of girls, I think there are more women than men in the J-school.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ever consider that maybe there is no helping you, and that maybe you should change majors?

4. Mizzoukid

Mizzoukid New Member

I wasn't even being mean. I asked a question. You know nothing about me yet assume I am struggling. I don't want to start anything, I just wanted a response to my question. Great way for a new poster to start off....lol.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

reread what i posted. i was just asking a question as well.

i have no dog in the hunt. i didn't go to school there. but i have had several conversations with many sports folks who have, met the man and then formed an opinion.

6. Mizzoukid

Mizzoukid New Member

Greg is a great guy, fun to be around, no question there. I just preferred having my stories read by the assistant sports editor, Grant Hodder, because he would give more criticism and corrections. One time I had a story read by Greg, he looked at it for 5 minutes and said "Looks good, ok." I know I'm nowhere near that good that any of my stories should go without major corrections or at least ideas on how to make them better in the future.

The Missourian was a great learning experience either way. I didn't come on here to bash Greg, though it sure looks like it. I just wanted to know some positive stories from someone else because maybe I was going at it the wrong way.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Trib has had that contract for at least a couple of years.

When printing stuff off the Web related to story research on the office printer becomes an issue -- as in, cut it out -- things are tight. And that's one example.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As with the Plain Dealer for others, I'm not good enough to work there.

They had an opening once at the Missourian and I finished runner-up. No lovely parting gifts.

Then they had two openings and I was told I had finished third.

Then I pretty much burned down any chance I had of working there by asking the following question: "If you had a thousand openings, is it reasonable to assume that I would finish 1,001st?" At least the search chairman laughed at that.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You ever thought that for the story you were writing, there was no need for reconstructive surgery? Or perhaps he would just have cleaned stuff up and thought it wasn't a big deal?

Look, I know it can be frustrating when you want to learn and someone with more experience isn't giving you feedback one way or the other. But I would hope that unless you've never had a byline in your life that you would be past the point of needing reconstructive surgery on a 10-inch gamer on the JV girls volleyball team.

10. Mizzoukid

Mizzoukid New Member

Yeah, that's very fair. It's not a big deal. I was looking more for the type of feedback the person above said they received. I just consistently got better feedback from the assistant SE.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ah, OK.

I don't know about most editors, but I'm of the school of thought that if it doesn't need major changes, I don't make major changes. If there's a small issue that keeps coming up, I'll make a mention of it (like one of my writers whose copy is normally clean but he has a nagging habit of using two spaces after periods).

But if I'm spending several minutes on an explanatory e-mail to a young writer, it's usually because I've noticed major problems with a story and I'm trying to prevent those problems from causing writers heartache later on in their careers.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sorry I've taken awhile to respond. I was actually away from the board for a majority of the weekend.

I, too, had Greg for my reporting class and then as an editor for a few years at the Missourian. If I wanted to bounce an idea off him or get serious feedback, I'd take time and sit with him in his office, asking questions until I got more of what I was looking for. No matter what, he'll be honest with you and give you the truth.

But outside of persistence, part of it is to learn to critique it yourself. Use criticisms you've received in the past to do some self-evaluation. Just don't be scared to keep asking questions.

Grant's a great guy, too, and either will do his best to help someone out. If you have more specific questions, feel free to pm me.

Draft saved Draft deleted