1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need info on Missouri's student newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daveevansedge, Apr 5, 2008.

1. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Well, I've got a genius nephew (National Merit Scholar finalist), and for some crazy reason he's going to pursue journalism at this point. Missouri will be his college destination, as he's already been named a Walter Williams scholar at Mizzou and has housing in the journalism dorm (hopefully I've got all this info accurate).

What I need to know is, if he ultimately is a staffer on the student paper, is that a paying position? Or does the paper only pay management/editors? Also, if there are paying positions, how much do those pay at this point, and is it weekly, monthly, per story, a stipend, etc? Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

There are two (possibly still three) papers at Mizzou.
    The Maneater is the "student" paper, comes out twice a week and pretty much anyone can work there. Positions are paid -- editors make a flat rate, reporters paid per story. When I was there, it was like 10-12 bucks a story.
    The Missourian is the J-school paper, comes out six days a week and you have to be in the J-school to work there (for the most part). It is taken for class credit generally and is actually an undergrad requirement (I was in the news-ed sequence and had to work there one semester as a reporter and another as a copy editor).

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

There's a journalism dorm? Did they want to get all the giant piles of newspapers in one place or something?

As far as I know, the only newsroom positions at the Missourian that are paid are those held by teachers. The reporters, copy editors and low-level line editors are students.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I managed to land a paying gig at the Missourian one summer, but it involved slinging agate a few nights a week for close to minimum wage. At that time, I believe I was one of two students who were getting a paycheck for working there.

5. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Thanks for the info so far. I would think the Missourian's policies would be of the most interest, although obviously getting clips anywhere is key. And again, I'm not familiar with Mizzou's inner-workings re: the Walter Williams scholar/journalism dorm, etc. So if I'm misinterpreting any of this and any of you Missouri folk want to clarify, that would be great.

Again, thank you for any info any of you can provide. This is a big phase of my nephew's life coming up, and I want to provide him with as much insight as possible.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Another thing to consider is trying to get work stringing prep stuff for the Columbia Daily Tribune or doing some MU stuff for the K.C. Star or St. Louis Post-Dispatch. I know the two metros historically have hired J-school students to do midweek features, run quotes, etc., and help out with non-revenue sports, and the Trib usually keeps a handful of part-timers around, most of which come from the J-school.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Dave-

Sounds like you've got everything right so far. Things are often made out to be a bit more complicated than they really are.

If you're interested, I can pm you with some contact information of editors at the Missourian. Greg Bowers (the sports editor) is a great guy and really helps your development as a writer.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Can you imagine all the hotties/groupies hanging around there at all hours of the night? That's gotta be chick central.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nothing hotter than a pretentious journalism coed out to cover a neo Nazi rally. And I'm not making that up, I was at a college journalism conference where a black Mizzou student was patting herself on the back for exposing the truth about the KKK.

10. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

The other student paper was the MU Student News, at least when I was there. It too paid per story, but not much. As for stringing at the Daily Tribune, you would (obviously) only be able to do that when you weren't working at the Missourian, and the Trib may or may not hire you until after you've worked at the Missourian, depending on how many clips you already have and how good they are. You can work at the Missourian and get paid, but only after you've completed the class and they bring you on as a desk person (helping design or copy edit). I don't know of any paid reporting positions for students at the Missourian. Still, you get great experience and clips at the Missourian even working for free, so long as you work hard and take the feedback to heart.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Things are tight at the Trib. Doubtful any part-timers get hired this summer.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

greg is an effin'[ stud.

Draft saved Draft deleted