1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need info about restraining orders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

No, not against anyone from the board... :)

A situation has come up and I think I need a restraining order against an ex, but have no experience in this area. How do you get one? Is there a cost? Does it cover just physical contact or cyber/phone contact as well? Can they be effective or just a waste of time?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Laws vary by state. Contact your local PD or the DA's office.

They'll interview you to find out why you want it and try to determine if you have reason for it. If you do, they'll get a judge to issue a temporary restraining order. That'll be served to the asshole ex alleged harrasser, along with a date and time of a court appearance for the both of you where you'll both tell a judge your side of the story. If the judge believes you, he/she will make it a permanent order at that time.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You know I love you, Webby, but it's got to stop. The mariachi band and the camels were the last straw. ;)

4. Inky_Wretch

I suppose you'd have preferred the steel drum and bagpipe combo over the mariachi band? And I had to go with the camels, the emu farm was closed that day.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I need more info here.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Is this the goddman cat killer? Because I'm pretty sure the SportsJournalists.com Mafia can take care of him if you'd like.

I'll start mixing the cement, just in case.

7. Inky_Wretch

Fuck that, I've got a wood chipper.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Yeah, but Inky, you have to abide by the spirit of "restraining order." That means hundred-pound shackles and cement boots, at least in my limited experience with contract killings.

9. Inky_Wretch

But your method requires a very deep body of water and leaves a body that can be found. My method leaves nothing but a mist and some small fleshy bits that can be plowed under and/or left for the coyotes and crows.

Both would work, I'm just wanting to make sure we the totally hypothetical contract killers are able to get away with it.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My guys are still under a judicial mistrangement order... that blue thing I got from her! They could be exposing themselves!

[​IMG]

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

AND YOU DON'T WANT US...EXPOSING OURSELVES...

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cadet,

Have you ever filed a complaint about the ex before? If so, that would help.

Also, do you have any evidence to back up your claims? Things such as letters, e-mails, recordings of voicemails, witnesses.

I've had a friend go through this and these are the kinds of things she needed. You may end up having to file a complaint or two before they will actually grant you a restraining order. Start keeping everything on record that you can to protect yourself.

Best of luck. I hope you can find the help you need dealing with your ex.

Draft saved Draft deleted