1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MilanWall, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

I wouldn't say lame. Predictions for high school football are one of the most read part of any newspaper. It's a shame it's the jerk coaches like this one that ruins it for everyone.

2. Rambler

Rambler Member

Forget getting quotes from coaches all together. Kids don't want to read quotes from coaches. Talk to the kids.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would call the coach and try to work it out and work out some sort of an agreement, but if it were me I would point out that you aren't a dummy and you can go to the AD and/or principal. It needs to be pointed out that the coach acted in an unprofessional manner. There are a number of ways he could have handled it. He could have ignored it, he could have teased you about it, he could have said it was close, he could have said your pick inspired the team. Any of those ways would have been better than what he did. He's trying to muscle you because you are a new guy - I'm 52 and work part-time as a sportswriter, and I can guarantee he would not have done that to me.

Having said all of that, I would state my opinion that, in principle, it is not a good idea to have predictions on games where high school students are involved. I really have a problem creating expectations about what 15 or 16 year old kids are going to do. I think it runs counter to educational purposes.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Just tell him he sucks and move on.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I would nix the predictions after this season, but until then have fun with it. Go to a magic 8 ball and ask the winner. Perhaps flip a coin. Heads, home team wins, tails, the visitors get an upset. Then on the third week, go somewhere they have lab rats and place a pellet of food on the left (home) and one on the right (visitor). Which ever pellet gets eaten first, there's your winner. Maybe on Halloween (or for Friday Oct. 13), you could consult a ouija board.

After that, things might get so stupid sounding that the ME or publisher asks you to cease the prediction column, and then you're out before the end of the season. :D

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like expendable's thinking. If you are going to do predictions, have fun with it.

7. sartysnopes

sartysnopes Member

Every time I've had a situation like this, where a coach won't comment because of a perceived "negative" story, I've shut out the coach. I talk to his kids. If he shuts them out, I say fine. I can tell the story from the other side. And besides, it's only a high school game. The world will keep turning if he doesn't comment. But from then on, I don't talk to him about anything until he comes back to me. It works almost every time.
    Nine of 10 coaches love being in the paper. They feel a sense of importance from it. So demonstrate that he needs you more than you need him. He's a high school coach in small town. Remind him that he's nothing special.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A real Snopes would burn down the coach's barn.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Next week, predict that the coach will get caught fucking a goat.

10. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Well put.

Thing is, prep coaches may not always be as media savvy as college coaches, because they sometimes don't HAVE to be. That's not to say all of them are turd souffles like this guy...some can be very frank and honest and well aware that ultimately they're just coaching a kids game.

This is why you can sometimes get away with doing columns and pickems for colleges but not necessarily for preps. I know it sounds ridiculous to anyone in this business, but in the mind of a guy with a buzzcut, gout, a four-tin-a-day Cope habit and a PE degree from East Central Blueball State College, a local paper SHOULD back the local team.

You can rally against how irrational it is, which it is. But you can also take steps to avoid these dustups. It's only my $0.02, but I think pickems are quite possibly the dumbest invention in the history of mankind's existence.

The only thing worse: Working with a guy who takes that stuff seriously. I used to work someplace where this moron would constantly belch out stuff like "Ooooohhh, this'll be a big week. I can catch XXXXX for second place if Northwest Magnet beats Sylvan Creek Ass Spelunking Academy."

I hated him.

11. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Be professional. Just continue to do your job as if nothing happened. Would you stop doing predictions if the coach had reacted positively or nothing had happened?

Of course not.

Continue to do your job properly. Continue to ask him for comment, even if he ignores you. Continue to cover the team as you would under perfect circumstances. Don't let his idiocy affect your job. Don't make a 72-0 pick just to make a point. When it's all over, you should be able to look back and say, "At least I did my job professionally."

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's nowhere near as fun. Seriously though Vic, you do have a point.

Draft saved Draft deleted