1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with strange phrase.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Mar 5, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ok, here's my question.....

Coach is talking about why his team went trigger-happy in the second period and shot 14 three-pointers. They made one and it kind of cost them the game.

His words...

"We didn’t set enough on them. I don’t mind the shots because we have kids that can shoot, we were a little bit hurried on them and a couple of those go in, it’s a-whole-nother ball game so you live with it.".

What I'm having trouble with is the phrase "a-whole-nother". I know that's not how you would put it)or at least i think it's not but i put it so you would know what he meant. My problem is, i really want to use it. Is it "a whole another"? should i just go with "a whole (new)" or what?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you're going to use it, I'd do "a whole 'nother."

But I wouldn't use it at all. If anything, I'd use this: "I don’t mind the shots because we have kids that can shoot; we were a little bit hurried on them."

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You could use [different] in its place.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'd be tempted just to pretend I heard "whole other" and be done with it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

so would I

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit, that's what i heard.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

a whole 'nother

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

There's no reason not to say "whole 'nother." People will understand what he's saying. Personally, I only correct vernacular when I think there's a chance people will think I'm making fun of the guy by quoting him accurately. That doesn't apply here. Generally, subjects should be quoted in their own voices, I think.

9. deadliner

deadliner Member

I just listened to it again, and I heard "whole other."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line, the quote is kind of disjointed and hard to follow and is not surprising in the least.

But I would have no problem used a whole 'nother in a quote if that's what the dude said.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I agree with imjustagirl.

That works just fine.

12. I agree with IJAG. Use the first half of the quote, where he's talking about shooting too quickly. By the end of the quote he has talked himself into thinking that if the shots went in, they would have been good shots. Which of course they would be. But they didn't, so they aren't, so use the part that's germane.

Draft saved Draft deleted