1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with question -- finish grad school or take job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wannabeu, May 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, then he damn sure wouldn't like us!

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

amen.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A few years ago it would have been a no-brainer to take the job.

Given the state of the industry, a Masters will give him better options after cutbacks take his first job.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would generally agree with this point if the money were great, but is it worth it for 34000, I'm not so sure.

5. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

First, thanks for everyone's advice and opinion on the situation. Lots of good info and things to consider. I appreciate it and so does my friend.
    Second, it is for a friend. I chose to go on this board to get some different opinions on the situation. Just for some different viewpoints to give him. He didn't know I went on here and asked the question until I told him and he saw all the replies. He said he didn't even think about going on the message board and asking the question. So I did myself. I have my own job in the newspaper industry.
    Answering other questions that I know, the cost of living where he would move to is pretty low. We know working in the newspaper industry that it is hard to go to school and work because the hours in newspapers are so difficult. He worked for a small paper for about 4 years (getting paid crap, like most of us) before deciding to go to grad school.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is there an update on this one?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Grad school.

8. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

No updates. He is still deciding. I am not sure what he is going to do. I gave him my two cents and let him know about your opinions. So we will see.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So he already worked in newspapers before (wisely) deciding to try a career reboot by going to grad school? And now he;s considering going back in?

Fool me once, etc.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for the love of god, an update?

11. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Sorry, I haven't talked to my friend in awhile. I had been busy and then I just got back from being out of town for almost a week. But I will find out as soon as possible of what he chose to do.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

call the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted