1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with question -- finish grad school or take job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wannabeu, May 2, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Answer to B:

It's the old "this isn't about me, it's for a friend." ploy.
    Actually it probably is wannabeu

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OK, I'll phrase it another way, since that is a fair point.

Two years of 34 grand before the next round of newspaper layoffs.

A decade of 32 grand, and being able to choose your next professional move.

Again, a no-brainer. WHY would anyone choose to start a career in newspapers at this point?

How many people do we all know who started school, got a job, and never finished? "I can always go BACK!!!!" they said, before life interfered. If you get the second degree, you can re-enter the job market from a position of strength, with no "Well . . I'll finish it at some point!!!" thoughts hanging over you.

I know not everyone's situation applies, but for me, there are plenty of days when I would rather do anything other than go to the library, write a paper, do research, attend class, etc. But I'll be damned if this university regards me as just another one who never finished. You started school, finish it. Don't be swayed by "Getting paid TODAY!!!" when you can go far towards securing pay for tomorrow and the next day.

Also, wannabeu: Why would you . . . . .err . .your FRIEND . . . . major in Strat Comm if you were just gonna take the first newspaper high school coverage job that came along?

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or, paying 30 grand or more for the final year of grad school, then coming out and not being able to find a job for 6, 8, 10 months when you could have earned 34-35K a year for 2 years before the layoff you presume but that might not be coming, anyway.

Rule No. 1: Always take the money.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's kind of what I assumed, so I wanted to throw it out there.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No disrespect meant to either one of you, but who really cares if it's for Wanna or Wanna's friend? Does it change anything if it's for Wanna?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Finish school. I've started and stopped graduate work a handful of times. As life goes on, going back is difficult.

8. Moderator1

Nope. But if it is for the friend, why can't the friend ask?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Who knows? Maybe the friend has something against the board? Maybe he or she doesn't want to post something that outs him or herself?

10. Moderator1

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not trying to be a dick. Wanna's friend may have his or her own reasons why they didn't post the question to the board. That's all.

I'll humbly slink back to my little corner of the 'net now.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe his friend hates sports dorks.

Draft saved Draft deleted