1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with question -- finish grad school or take job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wannabeu, May 2, 2008.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

THis is for a friend of mine who I am trying to help out and gauge some opinions on. So if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
    He has one year remaining to finish up getting his masters degree in strategic communication. But he just got a job offer from a daily newspaper in the East Coast that is offering him about $34-37,000 to cover both high schools and their local colleges. I think there is a NAIA school and a DII school.
    He is kind of hesitant to take the job because of the way the newspaper industry is going right now and that he is so close to finishing grad school. But that does not mean that he will find a job once he does finish his masters degree.
    The advice I gave him is to finish grad school because it would offer him more options once he finishes school. But then again, a job is a job.

Anyone have any other advice that I might be able to give him?

Thanks.

2. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Oops. Sorry I put this on the job board. So if the moderator could move this to journalism topics board. thanks.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Finish grad school. The industry is sinking faster than the Titanic, and having the master's will open up more options for him.

4. captzulu

captzulu Member

Finish school. It sounds like he's not all that crazy about the job anyway and is considering it only b/c he worries about finding a job after graduation. He'll be better in the long run with the masters.

If he really likes the job being offered, would it be possible for him to finish the degree part time via distance education?

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Finish school. And study something other than journalism.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Grad school, no question.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Would this be a first job for the guy? Is it in a city with a high cost of living? Does the school offer distance learning? He has one year left -- how much stuff does that mean he has to finish? Can he do it while working? Can he transfer his credits and finish at another school at the new location? Is he making any money now?

If he can finish the degree while working, I'd take the job.

8. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Grad school. No brainer.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

If/when he gets laid off from the job in a year or two, he'll be wishing he finished up grad school.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Grad school. Easy call. You'll have a better picture about where the newspaper industry is heading in a year.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Second the last two posts.

Grad school. A potentially better job will come of it.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

grad school or garbage man. they both have better futures.

Draft saved Draft deleted