1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with New York City-area Marriotts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Girlinthehood, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Girlinthehood

Girlinthehood Member

Help. I plan to spend five days this summer in New York City and will use my Marriott points. Are any of you Marriott Rewards members who have found decent Marriotts that aren't category 7s? (I don't want to eat up all my points.) I don't mind staying out of the city as long as I have easy access to public transportation. Much thanks for any help.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You should have some luck in the Westchester area (north of Manhattan; good train service to and from the city). I'd try Long Island second and New Jersey third. Make sure you double-check the Jersey locations; at some, you might need a cab to and from the train station.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Does it have to be a Marriott, or just a Marriott property?

According to the Marriott site, there's a Fairfield Inn in Long Island City/Queens that's only a category 4.

I stayed at the Marquis (which is a 7) and the Brooklyn Bridge one (which is a 6). So beyond that I don't know.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's the Stamford Marriott, right near the train station-40 minutes from Grand Central, doubt it's a 6 or 7.
    The Brooklyn Bridge Marriott is very nice and super convenient.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Courtyard Jersey City is a Cat 3. Fairfield Inn Meadowlands is a Cat 2.

I think I've been to the Jersey City one.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've stayed at Fairfield Meadowlands. Decent joint. You can walk to the track if you want to lose some money. I hear there's a strip joint nearby.
    And a bus comes right out front and drops you off at the Port Authority. Six bucks each way, I think. It's been a while.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

long island marriott, right next to nassau coliseum in uniondale, l.i. i'd think they can transport and pick up from nearest lirr station. a 35-40 minute trip to penn station. 516-794-3800

8. accguy

accguy Member

Jersey City CY is across the street from a PATH station. Very easy.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Do not go to any of the Marriott properties at Laguardia. All dumps, and much too expensive.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Way back when I wasn't smart enough to know better, I remember reading something in Donald Trump's biography about him bamboozling the Marriott Corp. into giving him exclusivity in Manhattan within the chain and that nobody else could open a Marriott on the island.

It had something to do with Marriott failing to purchase the air rights to a property, thereby limiting its ability to build a building larger than what had been on the site. Trump owned the air rights and sold it to them in turn for the exclusivity and then held it over Marriott's head for years, refusing to sell and refusing to let Marriott open hotels in Manhattan.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54596/

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

$6.80 ROUND TRIP. In the City in 1/2 hour or less (depending on traffic).

Do not go anywhere near the strip joint across the street. All trime ripoff.

Draft saved Draft deleted