1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with a ski trip to Denver

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

There's absolutely no need to have a helmet ... until you need one because A) somebody out of control hits your or B) something unexpected happens. First question every skier I know asks when someone dies skiing -- was he/she wearing a helmet? That says a lot.

My bet is if you try one for a day, you'll be surprised by how warm it is and how you quickly forget it's there, and figure - hey, why not keep wearing it?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're gonna wear a hat anyway, why not wear a helmet?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Helmets are not necessity.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you have a thick skull.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

They would have helped this guy...

[​IMG]

But you should be fine if you're not weaving through trees and going down black diamonds. If you do find yourself out of control, just try to fall down on your side and ride the slope that way. The last thing you want to do is go head-long into a snow mound or ski lift pole.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Big trend on slopes this year I noticed. Folks sking with Real NFL Riddell Air helmets complete with face mask and shield .

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Who are they, LaDainain Tomlinson?

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I'm a big helmet fan and go for the ones pre-rigged for your mp3/Ipod.

Save some powder for me. Steamboat in a couple of weeks, if I survive night shift.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Because the the direct round-trip flight from Bumblefuck to Denver is $450 per person. I paid $260 total for the both round-trip flight outta Midway. When two flights are half the price of one, and it's cheaper to drive three hours and stay in a hotel the night before a morning flight, than it is to fly direct ... you get the point.

Re. Helmets. We opted to go without. Talked to one of the ski shop keepers who said if we're staying on green and some blue runs, we should be fine without a helmet. We were fine. It seems a 50-50 mix of with and without helmets.

No lines at the lifts today. Granted, it was a Friday morning/afternoon, but it was fantastic. Tomorrow should be a little busier. I went down some green runs today that would be blue runs in the Midwest. Between this being my fourth ski trip (yes, ever), being forced to take some bigger runs because the small runs were closed for lift repair, and skiing on actually powder and not iced-over, man-made crap ... I'm feeling pretty good about skiing.

I oughta get knocked down a notch or two tomorrow.

Kudos to SportsJournalists.com Nation for the suggestions, recommendations, etc. Lovin' it out here.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Get a helmet tomorrow.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I like the idea of the iPod-connected helmet, but I have to have all my senses to get down the mountain at this point.

I don't think this snow is going anywhere. A decent dusting was falling at the top of the mountains as we made our last couple runs today.

Draft saved Draft deleted