1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with a ski trip to Denver

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not to get too personal, but isn't that what the hotel bed is for?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think BBAM is married. What are you suggesting, Mr. Idaho?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mountain weather can really turn on you late in the day...one minute you're in the bright sunshine, the next minute you're in a whiteout, completely snow blind. Best bet is to ski early--fresh powder--and wear yourself out, and spend the evening kicking back and recovering. I don't know where you're from, but if you're not acclimated to the altitude, you'll be wiped out by late afternoon.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I love Avon. If I could live there, I would.

If you're close enough, swing by Beaver Liquor Store in downtown Avon.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If he feels the need to be married -- awww, how sweet -- I know a few people who can arrange an early morning ceremony. If not, he knows what I'm talking about.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Had a nice storm come through overnight. When the clouds cleared, there was snow atop some of the peaks.

7. MileHigh

What she said. It's why I-70 is clogged at 4:30 a.m. with people driving up to the slopes to be there when they open.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So you're saying that if we land in Denver at about noon, and drive to Breckenridge/Winter Park/wherever we should be good with traffic?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

All depends on the weather. It can all change by the time you get to Eisenhower Tunnel.

A few general observations based on thread:

- Park City is easier to get to but I prefer skiing in CO.

- In short trip you can get more skiing in in Utah due to less travel time to slopes

- Park City has night skiing - fun once or twice but not great conditions- Mountain has been skied on all day and has not be re groomed - also it gets very icy. If you have skied in powder all day why ski in less than ideal conditions.

- Vail is big and town is touristy but once you hit the "back bowls" all is right with the world- Once you get to top crowds are not a real issue because of plenty of high speed quads.

- A-basin is hip to say you skied there but it is not a destination

-If hotel cost is issue best bet might be to go to Summit County ( Keystone, Copper, Breck, A Basisn) stay in Dillon or Frisco and all are easy driving distance. You can also buy Summit County lift ticket good at all mountains.

- If you can swing it go for place at resort that is ski on ski off.

- there are a bunch of rental places along I 70 on way to mountain that you can get skis and discount lift tickets- it's easier if you make reservations and get paperwork done prior

- when reserving your car get ski rack - 4 wheel drive not a bad idea.

11. MileHigh

Nailed it.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

But really, he likes Aspen the best. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted