1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with a ski trip to Denver

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If you do want to go Utah, let me know and I'll set you up with the 'locals' special at Deer Valley. You get a pretty good markdown if you have a Utah DL. And low alcohol beer just means you get to drink more before you're too drunk to drink more. :D

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Dude, I'm not hooking up with you, but your advice is definitely in the mix.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

That last line scares the hell outta me, but I'm sure it'd be just as well to fly into where ever instead of driving around icy hairpins.

Re. SLC: What we're paying for the two of us to fly Midway to Denver, covers one of us Midway to SLC. We're talking $130 to Denver per person, $270 to SLC per person. Now, if we save that on the ground, we can talk more.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It depends where you're going in regards to icy hairpins, but really, going to the resorts, CDOT does a great job keeping the roads clear. But if a storm comes in, roads can get shut down, of course. And the cost to fly into the resorts will set you back both arms and a leg.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm surprised by that. SLC is a Southwest hub and I would have thought there would be cheaper flights.

Super 8 up the street from me (and 15 miles from Brighton/Solitude/Alta/Snowbird) will cost you about $75 per night, tops. Those four resorts have a shared lift ticket if I recall correctly. Alta is off limits to snowboarders, if that matters.

6. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

There's no doubt that driving SLC to Park City is an easy drive.

Denver to the mountains isn't really a bad drive, but it can be a weather crapshoot. I've had beautiful sunny days in mid-February and a white-knuckle snow-covered road trip in late April. It's nothing you won't be able to handle if you're a mature driver who slows down and takes it easy. You'll have tons of notice if it's snowing, since every station in Denver is all over the weather.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

This place is located in Granby, CO. The main road that goes through Granby is called ... wait for it, wait for it ... Agate Avenue.

I shit you not. http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Granby,+Colorado&ie=UTF8&ll=40.08674,-105.941334&spn=0.086154,0.111923&z=13&iwloc=addr&om=1
    It's destiny.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There you go.

When you go home, go east of DIA and hit the little town of .... Agate

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Granby,+Colorado&ie=UTF8&ll=40.08674,-105.941334&spn=0.086154,0.111923&z=13&iwloc=addr&om=1

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

New thought:
    I'm looking up Deer Valley per 21's suggestion (looks beautiful by the way), but the lifts close at 4:15. A place with lights for night-time skiing would be great, unless of course it's just too cold to ski after dark in these areas.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Whereever you end, have a great time.

I'm not a skier. Basketball season alway precluded me from taking up the hobby. But I know it'd be a blast.

BTW, Park City Resort and Brighton both have night skiing with a lighted run or two.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Why would you want to go there and ski at night?

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Afternoon skiing is most likely, but the night-time option would be nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted