1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with a ski trip to Denver

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Mizzou,

A-Basin might be a mile or two closer by distance.

But driving time, Keystone is probably a minute or two faster, especially if conditions on Loveland Pass are less than ideal.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You can have all the flat tires you want. Just bring a car jack, spare tire and a lug wrench and you'll be OK.

You can even get Fat Tire beer if you want, too. The saying in Park City is ... "In Utah, but not of it."

3. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't like her. :(

4. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Dude, I'm your hookup here. I've skied 20+ days in Colorado and Utah each of the last two years as a Midwesterner, maximizing both my dollars and my days.

First, you want to go to Breckenridge. It's the best combination of town, mountain and - perhaps most importantly - relatively affordable ski-in/ski-out lodging, or close to ski-in/ski out. It's EXACTLY what you're looking for as someone who doesn't ski a ton - lots of long green and blue groomers, plus terrain that's slightly harder than that if you decide you want to challenge yourself. The future Mrs. will love the charming downtown and variety of nightlife.

You can rent a 1BR plus loft condo (sleeps 4-6) for $170 night here: http://www.vrbo.com/76808

I've rented from the dude before. He's very cool. Unit is a short walk if you want to ski in, or you can just take the shuttle. You can also walk to town from here. Pool and hot tub a 2 minute walk from the unit. Only drawback is it's on the third floor and there's no elevator.

If you absolutely need to be on the ground floor, here's a 1BR unit (sleeps 4-5) in the same complex for $175 a night: http://www.vrbo.com/76808

I can give you specific advice on lift tix, rentals, cheap eats and food if you decide to go to Breck. Just PM me. And, if you take no other advice, follow this: Don't even think of going to A-Basin. It's not a what you're looking for. Very, very cold that time of year, really an experts- and high-intermediates destination. You want to go to Breck, Vail or Keystone, in that order. All of them can be done affordably if you know what you're doing.

There's a case to be made for Park City as well, especially from Chicago. Again, exactly what you're looking for as a non-frequent travel skier. Free first day of skiing with your boarding pass at any of the three resorts. Lots of relatively affordable lodging. Great beginner/intermediate terrain. You can also ski all day and be back in Chicago by nightfall on Southwest.

The beer, of course, is a major drawback. Mandated low alcohol by state law.

5. Gotta disagree, Carty.

If he's going the third week of January, he's going to run into a whole lot of other tourists at Breck. The lift lines there seem to be the worst mountain-wide during an extended holiday weekend.

Vail on a holiday week/weekend: One bad lift line at the base, but then you can branch out to areas that are less crowded.

Keystone: Will have more traffic than a non-holiday weekend, but it's not as jam-packed with tourists, plus you can get plenty of variety in terrain.

6. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Keystone's not an easy mountain for a beginner to navigate.

I skied Breck last year, second week of January, over the weekend. It was dead. The hotels actually lower the rates during that period and then jack them again on Feb. 1. I know you have experience in Colorado, but it's not as a travel skier. The travel skier will be much more comfortable at Breck than any of those other places. And trust me, that period is dead. I was there that time last year and didn't wait on a single liftline.

Besides, I'm not sure a retired skier such as yourself really gets to weigh in on these topics.

;)

7. Addendum: Especially Keystone, if he's looking for something close to Denver.

Vail's another 45 minutes west of the tunnel.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree with Idaho (the poster, not the state) about Utah....Deer Valley, Alta, Snowbird, just breathtaking and less crowded than a lot of the Colorado locales. Aspen is my favorite place in the US--especially in the summer--but Boom loves Vail, so we end up in Deer Valley, a win-win compromise. Magnificent and affordable, depending on where you stay.

I know Aspen is pricey, but don't overlook Snowmass, about 10 miles away...same general area, but more affordable in terms of accomodations. You can also stay in Basalt or Glenwood and drive over, not too far.

Be careful about flying into Denver with the intentions of driving to another location...in bad weather, some of those 'easy' drives can take hours, all hairpin turns with icy conditions...sometimes the roads close completely. Better to fly directly to where you're staying, even if you have to connect in Denver and take a whiteknuckler over the mountains.

9. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

If you'd even consider getting in another trip this season, you could really clean up with the A-Basin bonus pass.

It gives you unlimited skiing at A-Basin, 5 days in Breckenridge and a day in Vail for $309.

You could do a long weekend at Breckenridge, then come back in April for a long weekend at A-Basin (they stay open until June). Get six days in and you've paid just $50 a day. A bargain for great skiing.

http://www.arapahoebasin.com/?page=site/text&nav_id=ffbb9a2d9cd19e03366dff7da3be0d50

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

I have skied Monarch, Breckenridge, went tubing at Horn Creek (don't think it's open now) and Wolf Creek.

Breckenridge is by far the primo of the three.

Intend on going up to Keystone early December.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree, Jim, with the assessment of A-Basin for what he/they are looking for. But I think they'd get more bang for their bucks in Winter Park than Breck.

12. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

If you're going on a trip with your girl, and you want not just good skiing, but the chance to walk the charming streets of a Victorian mining town, you get that at Breck.

Winter Park has its charms, and its closer to Denver, but it's not close to the same experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted