1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with a ski trip to Denver

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The SportsJournalists.com faithful made the Boston trip this summer such a hit, I'm coming back for advice on Denver.

The plan is for a January ski trip, probably the second or third weekend. Flying Midway to Denver (unless you know of a cheaper rate than the $65--one way, per person--Southwest is offering).

I've been looking at this site: http://www.coloradoski.com/
    It's very helpful, but I'm looking for tips from the natives or those who have visited.

We're looking for skiing that's relatively close to Denver (60-90 miles), but still a top notch place. We want to avoid Aspen, Breckenridge and Vail because we expect cost to be through the roof. Where would you recommend?

We've read that cheaper lift tickets can be purchased at places outside the resort. We've also had advice to rent skis, poles, boots, etc. at a shop outside the resort. Can anyone confirm these ideas as good?

Any other general advice?

Thank you.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Silver Creek, Colorado.

www.innatsilvercreek.com

Thank me later.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Link is dead, Chef.

Would this be the place: http://www.silvercreeklodging.com/

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Make sure you really know what you are doing on the slopes. I will never go on the slopes again because when I was 16 years old and went on a class ski trip, I lost my navigation skills quick and suffered a terrible fall. I suffered from whiplash, a broken leg and a concussion.

After that moment, I never took to the slopes again and Nova Scotia has nice ones.

Anyway, my advice is to make sure anyone who doesn't know how to ski have an option to learn how to properly.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Affirmative

That link worked before though...oh well.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Uh....you didn't take a lesson?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Forgot to mention this in the first post, but I thought it worthy:

The Future (who isn't a big fan of SportsJournalists.com, probably like many SOs of posters. That said, she doesn't question my time on here either.) and I are at Border's last night looking for books on Colorado skiing. We flip through a couple and I turn to her and say, "You know, we don't really need a book. I need to start a thread about Denver on SportsJournalists.com."

The Future actually agreed and said, "They did really well with Boston ... that cheesecake was really good." (speaking of Bova's in the Northend).

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Could be my connection. I'll try again on a different machine later.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I took a lesson a few years ago. Problem is I only go skiing once a season. I felt pretty good last winter, and I hear the fluffier snow (than the ice pack of the Midwest in January) is easier to learn.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It starts so innocently. First she thinks it's weird. Then she's jealous. Then she sees it for what it is and soon enough, she's hooked! Great job BBAM! Don't know if there's a finder's fee, but way to go!

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

give winter park a look:
    http://www.skiwinterpark.com/homepage/index.htm

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Was just going to put that in funky.

Winter Park is great. It's not too big but it's got great runs and you can get some good deals there. Lots of natives go there.

Yes, rent your stuff outside the resort. Dig around and you can find cheaper lift tickets as well.

Coloradoski.com is an outstanding source.

Draft saved Draft deleted