1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with a recipe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 22, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Got a friend coming over this weekend that we haven't seen in about two years.

I asked him what his favorite food is, and he told me wings. So, that's what he gets.

I have the hot and barbecue recipes taken care of.

But I need help with another. I want to cook a sticky, hot/sweet recipe ... like BWWW's Asian Zing recipe, if you've had those. Really liked 'em.

I could Google one up, and I still may wind up doing that. But if you've got some type of sweet/hot recipe that you've used, please send it my way, if you don't mind.

Thanks, guys.
  2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

TBF, this is gonna sound stupid and may not be what you have in mind...but

take a base (bbq sauce, A1, whatever base you want to use) thin it out with a little vinegar (not very much, it'll still be kind of thick)

Toss in a bunch of honey and several spoonfuls of brown sugar and then hot sauce of your choice.

The brown sugar will provide a little crisp, the honey will balance the hot and the vinegar.

I apologize for the "make it up as you go" ness of the recipe.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

what's BWWW's?
  4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Buffalo Wild Wings.

No idea what the third W is about...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. three_bags_full

I think it's something like West. Not sure, though.
  6. three_bags_full

To answer the question ... from their site.

7. three_bags_full

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Dirk's got it. I used to do something similar when I cooked wings five or so years ago at this restaurant. I'm a bit of a wing snob with the whole growing up in Western New York thing. Another one, which is super easy, is just mixing butter, Frank's red hot/buffalo hot sauce, ranch dressing, and various peppers/spices.

Good luck!
  9. three_bags_full

Your second suggestion is what I do for my hot sauce.

Bunch of butter. Bunch of hot sauce and sprinkle the top with garlic powder. It's pretty good.

I've been doing a little research this evening on how to make the sauce. What I'm really looking for is something like a sticky glaze (no jokes, please 8) ).

I found a way, I think, to make it happen. Use some corn syrup, hot sauce and spices, then dissolve some cornstarch in rice wine vinegar and mix it together. Put it in the fridge to chill before using it.
  10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I use legs instead of wings. Meatier. Buffalo Legs.
  11. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

They took the beef on weck off the menu because, to put it politely, their version sucked swamp water. No caraway seeds/salt on the roll, meat that more closely resembled Steak-umms than carved roast beef, and no horseradish, the one (and only) time I ordered one.

Culinary fail.

This is what a beef on weck SHOULD look like:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted