1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Help with a Notebook Computer problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I'm having a problem with my two-year-old computer. The problem is that the screen is really dark. Sometimes you can see something if you look real hard. I know something is going on because I hear the things I usually hear when I sign on and my 12-year-old daughter has been trying to figure it out, but we haven't had any luck.

I'm up for any suggestions and they are appreciated. If that doesn't work, how is a good way to get it fixed? What shop do you go to and how do you tell if they know anything? I know that's a simple question, but the thought in my head is that I remember in the 1960s when a lot of TV repairmen were crooked or incompetent so I don't know what to do.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated, and wiseguy remarks might bring a smile to my face.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Check your system defaults to make sure the screen brightness isn't set low for some reason.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

That's the only thing I can think of.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

You remember the 60s? That's SO cool!

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

If you keep having a problem, go to a local used computer store/Salvation Army and buy an external monitor. This won't help you when you're out, but if you do a lot of your writing in one spot, it will solve that aspect of it.

I had the same problem with an old monitor LCD screen and I found an old, but good, monitor at a Salvation Army for $16. Works great.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

That you can make some stuff out makes me suspect the LCD is failing.

When you boot up, is the screen already dark or does it fade to dark?

If it fades, do you see any reddish tint before it fades?

Before this problem started did you see any reddish tint? If you saw the reddish or pinkish tint, it means your backlight is failing. They can be replaced, but it's easier to replace the entire screen.

I will warn you, if you want the laptop fixed, most average computer places do not work on laptops.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Rosie:

It's dark when I start the thing up.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

K.

Consult your owner's manual, find how to adjust the brightness level for your screen. If that doesn't work, hook it up to an external monitor, verify that everything is intact. Doublecheck your monitor settings in the control panel (for Windows.)

THEN, if you still have a dark screen on the laptop, you most likely will have to have the screen replaced. If you go through the computer manufacturer, be prepared for sticker shock. (After Sony quoted me $1,000 for a new screen, I picked up a new LCD and did it myself when my laptop screen needed replacement.)

9. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

Goldie-

This sounds like an issue I had with my old notebook. My screen was so faint I could barely make out the screen. I took it to Best Buy and Circuit City and they told me it was probably cheaper to buy a new one and after doing some independent research they were right (unless I could have done the repair myself which I wasn't ready to try).

I bought a new one for like $800 and got a 6-months same as cash plan at Circuit City. If you can, I'd backup every important file you have in case you need to do the same. Hope that helps.

10. Buy infrared glasses and wear them when you use the computer.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Definitely agree with this. :)

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Sounds like the backlight on the screen is going out. Or already out. Had this happen once on a PowerBook; fortunately I was able to replace the screen relatively inexpensively. Hopefully you're able to do the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted