1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help: what to do in a scrum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Flash

Flash Active Member

Hi all,

Next week, I'll be one of our four individuals hired by Molson to blog the World Hockey Summit in Toronto. The other three have no journalistic experience.

In our preparations, the question 'what happens in a scrum' arose.

I'm going to write a post leading into the event about my brief return to my journalistic ways and I've already told them to go in elbows up, Gordie Howe style.

I thought, however, I'd crowdsource some answers from the folks in the game.

Would you mind giving the boys some advice on what to expect and how to act in a scrum? Serious and cheeky answers welcome.

Thanks. ;)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Easy. In a scrum, get your hooker to kick the ball back to your backs.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Elbow a camera guy as a pre-emptive strike. Because you WILL get popped, and they will not care one iota.

4. Flash

Flash Active Member

Ha. Yeah, I remember getting a camera in the head once or twice.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Amusingly, my only advice is: Don't use your elbows on the folks with the cameras.

:D

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

Do not wear your backpack in the scrum. It's considered rude because it takes up space

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Man up. That's the best advice I can give you. And don't forget, an ass kicking is supposed to hurt.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Positioning is key. Scout out in advance where the person will be and figure out how to get close. Speak loudly sadly sometimes you have to come off as a bit of an ass to get your question in when there's a crowd.
    The backpack suggestion is spot on.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the TV guy who slams into you is a douchebag be sure to get close enough to whisper a string of profanities into his mic that will make his audio useless.

10. Flash

Flash Active Member

Man up? Gee whiz, Drippy, maybe I'll just shift my balls to the left side and play some grab ass with the bitches.

11. Flash

Flash Active Member

Hahaha ... priceless.

Moddy and ringer, thanks. Stellar stuff.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Remember when Ron MacLean got shunted aside by the scrum after Donovan Bailey broke the 100-m record in 1996?

Yeah.....don't be Ron MacLean.

Draft saved Draft deleted