1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help w/Pagemaker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, May 18, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course, I guess my first question should be "does anyone even use Pagemaker anymore?"

If you do, perhaps you can help me. I lay out a couple newsletters a year for a good friend. He has some photos in the newsletters, but he usually has those placed in last by a graphic designer who, you know, knows what he's doing. That, however, is getting a bit pricy, and another computer-savvy friend of his says I could place the photos myself.

But every time I try, the photos come out all fuzzy and warped. I can't seem to reduce them to size and/or crop them so they look like normal photos should. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry, Beej. I haven't used Pagemaker since high school. Don't even remember how.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I haven't used it since my early college days. It would take me a long time to get back up to speed, probably a LOT longer than it took for me to pick QuarkXPress back up when I started by current gig.

Have you tried working with the photos in Photoshop before using PageMaker?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Rip PageMaker out of computer
    2) Toss far out the window
    3) Toast to doing the above with chilled beverage of your choice.

You're welcome, BYH. :D

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks Sam. I had a feeling that was coming, you jerk. :D

If I did anything design-wise beyond this, I'd get the new programs. But it's not worth the expense to design a few things a year.

Still waiting for help DAMMIT!!!! :)

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Download Quark or InDesign for free off a file-sharing network. You're welcome.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Just make sure the right heads go with the right bodies.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You sized the pix in Photoshop first, right?

9. Good question. A follow up is whether they're fuzzy when you print them or just on the computer.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

1. Most newer versions of both require passcodes. (Of course, you could pony up only -- used for comparative purposes -- a couple hundred and have a college friend of yours buy them for you, as opposed to shelling out $1,000.)

2. Playing with zip files coming from a download service ain't exactly a safe proposition.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

GMTA.

Draft saved Draft deleted