1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help taking NFL stats.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cwhs33, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Remember... if a ball is spotted one foot outside the opponent's 42 and a TD is scored, it is a 43-yard TD. Only time that is not the rule is when the ball in inside one's own 1-yard line. Then, it wouldn't be a 100-yard play, only 99.

If it is spotted at the same spot by a holder for a FG, it is a 52-yard attempt.

2. cwhs33

cwhs33 New Member

Ok, nobody really answered my question. Is this just a dumb idea?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When I did high school basketball, I would do points, rebounds, steals and obviously free throws and fouls.

I could also do team shooting. But I did that in my play by play (marking an X for missed shots, and a line if they didn't get a shot that trip). Totaled it up at halftime and end of game.

Hell of a lot of work and always felt like I was writing, but I think my stats were more correct than the high schoolers that kept rebounds at the end of the bench.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Forget the stats from TV...

Read. Read. Read.

I'm sure the guys on here can give you 10 writers who you should read everyday. Notice what they do (and what they do not do).

RSS feed their gamers or bookmark their section's links and columns and whatever they write.

Become very familiar with the camera, web pages, Twitter and how video works.

Volunteer to help do stats for a local paper. If you can do tackles for a writer during high school season or rebounds and assists during basketball season while they are doing the other stats, it will be a valuable learning experience.

Good luck.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Excellent advice, 93Devil.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Not necessarily a dumb idea, because it does give you a feel of what it's like.

A better idea could be to watch the game, listen to the interviews/press conferences and write up a short story after the game.

And even better idea would be to read lots of different NEWSPAPER sports writers (not bloggers).

To go along with that, contact your local newspaper's sports editor and see if you can string a game or two. Might only be $30/game, but it will give you the tangible experience you need to see if you really want to do this.

7. ripple

ripple Member

I don't think it's a dumb idea. I've recently started having to keep my own stats (just like most folks on here) and it's definitely something that requires some practice.

I guess I just didn't see what your question was, other than can we help. Sure, probably, but you'll have to be more specific.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And, kid, take this for what it is worth...

In 1990, if could have been lucky enough to tag along with a writer like John Perrotto on Beaver County sidelines for a football season, I would have learned so, so much.

He is a great writer who was one of the best baseball beat reporters in America. President of the Baseball Writers of America for a spell, IIRC. He spit out column inches like ticker tape. He was loyal to his paper and his area.

And after 20+ years I think he is looking for a permanent position with a paper, and he is as good as it gets in this business.

And the guy telling you this works in education and has not had a word published in seven years.

Read. This. Post. Very. Carefully.

If you are going to do this, at least double major in college.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Keeping stats off the TV can help, but like someone said earlier, would be a little tougher, because of all the replaycs, etc.

Obviously, it's too late now since high school seasons are over, but next year, go to some games and just keep stats, even if it's not your high school. That gives you the feel of all it would take.

You can adapt your own style as well. Some people are able to keep more stats than others. You have to do it more and see what you can keep accurately. Get comfortable with that and then add more stats.

We've had stat keeping discussions on here. You can probably search for them. I'll also try to find a link later on.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have a stat sheet I made for myself with everything on it -- points, steals, rebounds, assists, turnovers, free throws, field goals and 3-pointers. Every stat gets a little tick mark, and I add them up by quarter. The first quarter is easy to tally up. The third quarter is tougher. It took some practice, but now I'm like a machine at games.
    If you're trying this at a live game, I'd suggest starting with girls basketball. The pace is a lot slower. Also, don't look at a player and say, "Jim Smith got that rebound, Joe Johnson took that shot." See numbers, not names, like, "24 miss, 34 rebound, 34 assist to 30. 30 with a 3-pointer." Mental shorthand is as valuable as writing shorthand.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'll echo Hank on getting to a game. Don't do it off the TV, there is just too much stuff shifting around with the camera.
    Football may be over, but basketball is here. Get out there and just sit and watch some games, it will be a great learning experience. Do this and practice for a month and then start hitting up the local paper for some stringer work or even call-taking work. It sounds weird, but if you take some calls from people at the paper you want to strong for then when you finally talk to the SE about a shot a writing you will have a rapport with each other and you will know what they want stat-wise.
    Read, read, read, but start cultivating your own voice in your writing. There can only be one Red Smith, don't try to write like him. Try to be your own writer.
    Work hard and maybe by the time you are out of college there will be a job open for you out here somewhere.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another option, especially in football season, when the last concern of the coach in the newspaper's deadline: Talk to your school's coaches and see if he/she needs someone to call in games, sort of a college's sports information director does. Keep the stats and a box score (in basketball, it's easy to check the official book after the game ... I always do), then call the game in yourself. Most desk guys/agate clerks don't bite, but they may have a few questions to help beef up what they'll write for the paper. I did this in college for three years and, it helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted