1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help ... quickly ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Hi y'all,
    Please take this seriously. I've been thrown into interviewing student-intern candidates this morning and my director has left me without any questions.
    What are some typical questions one might pose to a marketing-intern candidate?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A good one to throw in to any candidate is what are your strengths followed by what are your weaknesses (or what do you need to work on).

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I came up with interview questions for a full-time reporter position when we couldn't find our original questions.

Basically, the questions I ask include:

1) What appeals to you about the position/company?
    2) What are some things you hope to accomplish with this position?
    3) What do you see as your strengths? Areas for improvement?
    4) Please describe your work temperament (to see if they're team players or they're all about themselves)
    5) If they've provided samples, "Why did you pick the samples you picked?"

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Give me an example of a mistake you made and how you corrected it.

or

Tell me about a conflict you had with a customer/fellow worker and how you resolved it.

(I was asked these and it really threw me for a loop. It forces them to be honest and humble.)

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

What do you know about out company?
    Why are you interested in joining us?

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Thank you all! Great help. Very appreciated. Going into first interview now.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good luck Flash.

I hope no one's wearing an Oiler jersey. :)

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

If you still need one, I've always liked being asked what my goals were/what I hoped to accomplish. Good luck!

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

If you have time do a quick search for behaviour based question on the internets.

Anyone can bs about why the are good for the position or make up some crap but I think the best recruitment questions are ones that ask for specific experience.

Get the interviewees to tell you a story about a specific circumstance.

"Tell me about a time you had to juggle priorities, how did you handle it, what was the result?"

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Briggs-Meyer personality tests are great tools to use for interviews. It's what I went through to get hired here, and went through another to get my teaching promotion.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Here's a question I found ... I wasn't ready to ask it today but I may use it in the future:

You're on a baseball team and you just got beaten very badly. On the trip home, where do you sit on the team bus and why?

Draft saved Draft deleted