1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help please planning my class

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 22, 2008.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I second this opinion ...

rb

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

"Pure Heart" is the title of Nack's timeless story. It's in both the anthologies I mentioned (originally in the 1991 BASW), as well as online in the SI Vault.

(Speaking of Nack, I believe he's editing this year's BASW. Can't wait for the finished product. Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic ...)

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Moddy, you should track down this guy and pick his brain:

http://journalism.indiana.edu/about-us/faculty-staff/bio/?person=214

That's a link to Peter Jacobi. For a long time, he had (and may still have) a side business prepping executives and others for interviews. He just about personally ended the cliche of Mike Wallace whipping out a document and catching a businessperson flat-footed on 60 Minutes, because after sessions with Peter Jacobi, their feet were no longer flat.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Indeed

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Oriard's stuff is quite good. I used to work with his younger brother at one of my stops. Good editor, so the wordsmithiness (is that a word?) runs in the family.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Moddy,

This class sounds interesting. Curious if you've heard of other schools that offer something like this because I never have, although I've never really explored it. Is it strictly for future coaches/athletic administrators? Is it something your place has been offering for awhile? I'm interested in the history of it.

Speaking of history, there's an old book by veteran Texas writer Gary Cartwright called Confessions of a Washed-Up Sportswriter that includes several chapters on the heyday of Front Page journalism in Texas when Cartwright worked at the wild-and-wacky Fort Worth Press on a legendary sports staff that included Blackie Sherrod, Bud Shrake, Tex Maule, Dan Jenkins and others.

It's got some wild stuff, which, come to think of it, your students probably shouldn't see. Probably would just confirm the suspicions they likely already have about our profession.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I want to take this class. I wish someone had taught me this stuff when I was going through school.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Liebling.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There is a distance learning tract available and I will be teaching it online in the spring.

Thanks for all the great help. I've printed a bunch of articles and ordered some books. Even lined up a couple of speakers already. But don't stop the help. Keep it coming. You guys are great and this is why I love SJ. A terrific resource.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Something totally off the wall here...

How about a True or False sheet? Common misconceptions about sports writers that coaches and admin have, (for example, the evil writer is out to get them, the writer must be a fan, the writer is only doing her job,) stuff like that.

Have the students mark their answers, then talk about each point and why it is or isn't true.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That is a great idea!

And to answer GuessWho, I'm not sure who is doing this kind of thing. This will be the ninth year of the SportsCenter and first time it has been offered there. I know lots of journalism schoosl offer things on sports writing but those are geared toward the writers instead of the coaches/administrators.
    I read that Cartwright book and absolutely loved it. I subscribe to Texas Monthly because of that book. Terrific, terrific stuff.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

And that was only with one cup of coffee. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted