1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Help, March Madness question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FreddiePatek, Feb 8, 2007.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

All,

I'm trying to track down a list of teams that have NEVER played in the NCAA basketball tournament. For whatever reason, I believe there are just three schools among the current eligible D-I's that haven't made it. I'm fairly certain The Citadel is one ... anyone know the others?

2. Jesus, with 9856 teams in Division 1 now, who knows how many there are?

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Western Illinois.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Northwestern.

And they HOSTED the first one.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now there's one set of fans that deserve to storm the court if they make the NCAAs.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

William and Mary never has made the NCAA tournament. In fact, the only time it made the NIT was in the 1982-83 season when it lost in the first round at Virginia Tech. I kid you not, there is a banner marking its NIT appearance in its arena.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If the field had been 64 in the late 60's, they would have made it. But in recent years, the Big 10 sked has blown up the groundwork laid by a cushy non-con sked.

8. FreddiePatek

OK, so far, we have:

The Citadel
    Northwestern
    Western Illinois (I could be very wrong, but it seems these guys won a Mid-Con title once, perhaps)
    William & Mary

I'll vet these an any others y'all think of. There are 336 schools in D-1 and some of them, obviously, must be so new as to have not yet had a shot.

9. Check the A-Sun. Several of those teams have never made it.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

UC Riverside in the Big West.
    I bet lots of the Big Sky teams haven't made it.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm sure schools that haven't been in Division I long such as Elon haven't made it, either.

12. FreddiePatek

Yeah, I'm thinking at this point this is a very long list. I'm just going to subtract the teams that have been in at least one tournament from the current list of 336. I guess my real interest is in long-time D1 programs such as Northwestern and The Citadel.

Draft saved Draft deleted