1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Help Guys, what is a good GRE score

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt Foley, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

I recently took the general test and got a 620 verbal and a 780 quantitative, they have yet to mail me my score report, does anyone have any idea what kind of score that is?

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's a good score. You're able to get into most doctoral programs.

You basically need at least a 600 in each to make them forget how stupid the test is.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

According to this (http://www.800score.com/gre-c1p2.html), your quantative is probably > 98th percentile and your verbal was probably > 80th percentile. Very nice job.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son took it recently. He did almost that well but not quite. And his advisors were raving about his score. He got a perfect score on the written portion.
    You should be A OK.

5. hiredguy

hiredguy Member

I took the GREs a year ago....Those computer-based tests know when you're not doing well so they adjust and ask easier questions. On the math section I got something like, what's 275 x 4.....needless to say, I suck at math.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The GRE, I'm convinced, exists as a way to weed through people who are serious about going to graduate school. Same thing with the LSAT.

It's just an obstacle course they set up. Same thing with having to get letters of recommendation. Everyone gets three glowing ones. Really think they study those? Nope. It's just a gauntlet that grad programs set up. If you're serious about grad school, they think you'd be willing to memorize word lists and h.s. algebra (GRE) or how to sort six people into airline seats if two groups flew, one in the morning, one in the night, wearing either a red shirt, blue shirt or tan shirt with black or blue pants (LSAT).

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

It's a good score. It's near where mine was, and mine was well regarded by the programs I sent it to.

Well done.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I agree with the thought that this is just an obstacle course to weed out the non-serious. In any event, mine wasn't as good as Mr. Foley's (though got a 6 of 6 on the written portion), and I had no trouble with the admissions process.

Though the snarky part of me is chuckling that Mr. Foley started this thread to brag about his GRE score, considering the fact many grad school programs list the minimum GRE score they seek for potetial admission.

"Um, I got a 1400 . . . is that good?"

Shameless. But admirable.

Yes, yes it is a good score. Congratulations.

Draft saved Draft deleted