1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEED HELP FOR INFORMATION ON MANHATTAN RESTAURANTS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Was that meant to be a Guys and Dolls reference? If so, kudos.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm average in stature.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Meh, Gray's is OK. A decent hot dog, nothing more. Though I find it funny that you posted about the one on 8th and 37th since that's the one closest to my work and where I go when I do get Gray's.

There's a korean/hot dog place off the West 4th street subway stop, though, that is amazing. The name's generic (New York Hot Dog and Coffee) but the hot dogs topped with korean meats are hard to top.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Twas indeed... it is, of course, Manhattan

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Damon Runyon. I guess your recommendation is Lindy's?

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

You're right about finding places and I have found some good places that way, but my nephew is not going to be there real long. He is also from southern California and he doesn't have the same instinct for good pizza places that I do.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

BLT Steak is good, at reasonable (for NYC) prices.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am told the cheesecake is outstanding.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wouldn't remember the name, but it was a small mexican place on a corner. We padded the company bill with a couple of $12 margaritas each. Then we walked back to midtown with stops for one drink at three different taverns/pubs/bars. Just a neat night where the only plan was no plan at all.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mrs. tbf and I had some awesome sushi at a little place called Azuki on 8th Avenue around 35th or 36th. 518 or 520, I think the address was. There's also a Gray's Papaya, nearby.

Frankie and Johnnie's was our "expensive" night out. Pretty good meal, but not the most romantic setting. Really crowded.

Our best best meal was at Grimaldi's across the bridge in the DUMBO area.

Ragu and jmacg and a couple of the other guys around here are pretty damned good references on NYC. Boom, too. Take their word as gospel on NYC. They're good.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Lombardi's. Best place I have ever eaten Pizza. Ever. It's in Little Italy.

Blockhead's is also a good mexican place if you like fat burritos and pictures of gumby on the menu.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ate at Lombardi's, too. Not even in the same time zone as Grimaldi's.

Draft saved Draft deleted